Something's Eating Plants

1. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

I noticed that some of my Anubias were getting holes in the leaves, and today when I got home there was something on the leaf. It looked like either a pink worm or pink fish poop. It was definitely right next to new cuts in the leaf, and when we removed the plant from the aquarium, the pink thing was suddenly not there anymore--nor was it visible in the tank. There are lines cut across the Anubias leaves like something was chewing in a straight line. Can anyone tell me what this is, and what to do?

2. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Cut off the leaves with holes in them. I'm unsure on the worm thing. If it was poop maybe it's a nutrient deficiency that's causing the holes. That was the reason for the holes in my anubias plant.

Can you attach a photo of the leaves?

3. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The last photo is the leaf where we saw the Thing. You can see the lines at the top of the leaf that appear to have been chewed. We've had this plant one week and none of these holes were there when we got it.

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Hmm... how did you plant the leaf and what ferts are you using?

Did you see the pink thing move at all?

5. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

It's tied on a piece of driftwood, we purchased it that way. We haven't yet added any fertilizer.

6. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

Sorry, the pink thing did appear to be moving, but it could also have been swaying in the current. I did look arouns the internet, but I didn't see anything that looked a lot like it. Also, we're pretty new to aquarium ownership.

7. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

That's okay. I have never dealt with any worms yet luckily so I'm not sure on that. But I do know sometimes if there is lack of nutrients then leaves can get holes in them. However I'm not sure about the lines.

8. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

What nutrients did you add for your Anubias? Can you point me in the direction of where you got the information on nutrients for them? One way or another, I think I'll probably need to know if I should add fertilizer. Thank you!

9. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I had some holes in my anubias and asked here. Someone suggested to double the dose of my api leaf zone.

I have a lot of different plants in my tank and mind you I'm still learning on nutrients myself. But I use: API leaf zone, API c02 booster, and seachem florish root tabs.

I would suggest a single dose of API leaf zone weekly. Light alone is sometimes not enough for low light plants. Ribosome plants like anubias get their nutrients in the water.

Keep us updated and keep looking for anymore pink things and take a photo/video if you see one!