Something wrong with my Zebra Finch!

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    I went to feed my Zebra finches this morning and noticed my white female hiding in her nest again,
    she has been hiding in there for days now and so i bumped the nest to get her out. To my shock most of her feathers are gone! All under her belly and around her bottom area are gone and its back to skin.
    Does anyone know what might be wrong with her?? I dont even know what to google.
    Here is the best photos i could get of her:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    She is in with 2 males and another female. I have a spear small bird cage, should i bring her inside out of the outside Avery to be by herself? Please help

2. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Update:
    She has been taken out of the avery outside and brang inside. I went to my local pet store and it seems she has mite from the grass i picked from the side of the road a couple of weeks ago. She has been spray with mite solution and is in a small bird cage near the heater for the time being. I also spray the outside avery and other birds and the nests too. Hoping this helps.

3. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Update:
    I think i got the spray in her eye, its closed and she is hopping around in the bottom of the cage and also sometimes she is laying on her back with legs in the air, i think she is going to die :( :( :(

4. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Update:
    9 hours later and she is still alive having a sleep now but still on the bottom
    of the cage. Her feathers have dried from the spray, i put to much on her i
    think. But here she is now and you can see how bad it is:
    [​IMG]
    I hope she makes it, poor little girl :(

5. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Are you sure on of the males hasn't been picking at her? I wouldn't keep zebras paired up unless you are trying to breed them. I used to keep only males because they breed like rabbits lol.

6. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Slayer :)
    I am pretty sure it wasn't the males picking on her as i haven't seem them do it and also the feathers that are missing are under her bottom and under her chest. I don't mind if they breed. She is still alive this morning, still on the bottom of the cage but standing up, she is shivering though so i turned the heater on for her. I now have a bigger problem, i just checked the nest, there are babies in it! I am assuming she is the mother because the other female is in the other nest. My sick female is in no shape to be put back outside she wont even fly up on the perch. I am trying to find online if the father also feeds the babies but im having no luck. I am now frantic at what to do with the babies. Im going to monitor the avery today to see if any of the other birds are going into that nest. I had no idea there were babies!

7. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I'm assuming that's why her feathers where missing since she keeping the chicks warm. I'd take her to the vet and talk to the vet about the babies. Hope all works out.:)

8. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

On closer inspection, i dont think the babies belong to the sick finch. So far i have seen one of the males and the other female sitting on the babies. Problem averted for now. I just boiled an egg for them so hopefully they feed the babies with it. The other nest is full of eggs 6 or so and one male keeps sitting on the perch beside it so i gather that nest belongs to the sick female. She is still shivering even with the heater going so i dont know whats going to happen to her.

9. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

If she's shivering and you can hold her, I'd wrap her up in a blanket or towel and keep her warm. I'd take her to ver as soon as you can. Hopefully this isn't something that can be spread to the others(doesn't seem like it, but better to be safe). But I've never had birds, so really whatever you think is best you should do.:)Sorry she's not feeling well.:(

10. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Is she feeding? If she's not, she won't last long.

11. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

She died :( :( :(

12. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi again,
    Thank you for all the help here.
    I went out and took photos of the babies, which lead to me being frantic again, the babies look like they have something growing out of their necks! I raced online and joined up to a finch web site and posted a topic about the babies. In my haste i didnt even think to google about it first. So after waiting for a reply on the web site i googled about it while waiting. Only to find that its their food sack!! So i am feeling a bit calmer now but still upset at loosing the female who died today.
    Here is photos of my Zebra finches and the new babies:
    http://imgur.com/a/y4B1Z

13. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Are you sure she had mites? Did you actually see them. ? Some birds will line the bottom of the nest with their feathers if there isn't soft stuff to line them with. Alison:;hi1

14. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Alison,
    I didn't look close enough to see any mites to be honest, i just sprayed her and i sprayed the other birds too and the nests. For some reason she died, all the other birds including the babies are still alive. Maybe i did the wrong thing, i have decided next time i see something like that i wont be interfering.
    I went outside late last night in the dark and found the mum and dad sitting on the babies, and the other male sitting on top of the other nest that had 5 eggs in it. I took the eggs out, they were stone cold, so i threw them out. There were no feathers in the nest.
    After the babies have grown and are eating themselves im going to take out the males so they cant breed because its winter here, and put them back in when it gets warmer again.
    Maybe she died from fright and being sprayed or maybe there was something else wrong with her.

15. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

They can be very delicate little birds. I would not spray them unless I saw mites using a magnifying glass. I love the sound that zebra finches make. I had a pair for awhile back in the late 1980's , Then they raised three babies ... Alison..:;hi1