Something Wrong With My Guppies And Corydoras? Random Swimming Patterns And Lack Of Energy?

1. Briana Clifford

Briana Clifford New Member Member

Hi, I recently moved 8 neon tetras, 3 albino corycats and 3 male guppies from a 70L tank into a 130L tank.

The guppies were already acting strange and fatigued before the move, but I brushed it off and set up my new tank and transferred all the fish over (new tank contains previously cycled media).

Currently, 2 of my guppies have died. They were slow moving and floating strangely. They didn't want to move at all and kept letting the current push them around the top of the tank. Eventually one died, and then another. I currently have one left that I've moved into a floating container which he is fine in and has correct orientation, but as soon as I put him back in the tank his body sort of rolls around/goes upside down/to this side/gets tumbled around by the filter. They all lost their desire for food. Is this swim a swim bladder problem that they've ALL managed to gain?

And just now I've noticed one of my cories is not eating much. They all sometimes randomly swim up to the top of the tank really fast and then back down again - they've always done this. But I have one Cory that swims rapidly upwards fine, but when trying to go back down, he spirals uncontrollably until he hits the bottom where he just sits. He doesn't not eat. The other two seem just fine.

My tank parameters before and after were pristine. I never overfed my guppies. It's possible the cories got overfed since they pick up all the remains, but the one that is appearing to be ill/disoriented at the moment is the smallest of the three. Since I only ever had three cories, the healthier two would always pair and occasionally the ill one would swim along with them, but not oftenly. I'm not sure what exactly has happened to my guppies and Cory, how it happened or how I can fix it. I've had the cories and guppies for three months or so now.

Any suggestions as to what happened? I'm terrible with fish medicine and diseases, I usually rely on preventative methods.

2. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

You might not have enough of the pre-cycled media to handle the bio-load, especially if you're sizing up to a larger tank. As a general rule I never move unhealthy looking fish but rather all the healthier ones first and let the sick (guppies) have the place to themselves for a while til they recover. Moving is always stressful. The more time you put into it the better. I'd wait a while before adding any more fish until the system has time to grow more bb

As a foolproof preventative method I also feed fresh garlic for a week before and after adding/moving fish. This boosts their immune system. I mix it with frozen food and then re-freeze it in eggcrate to make little cubes for portion control 810138c60c24e13ee1aeae56c449e82b.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    Briana Clifford

Okay thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to keep both tanks up at the same time, I should've just waited with setting up the new tank. The moving would've definitely stressed the fish out more. But I still don't understand what exactly happened to them and why? As far as I know for my smaller tank, I was doing everything correctly and I'm not sure what caused the guppies to go funny. I'll have a go with the garlic and see if I can do the same and mix it in with some blood worms or something to try and get my fish consuming a healthier diet. For the cory that keeps swimming around willy nilly and making himself dizzy becos he can take seem to control his swimming, should I move him into a small container and float it in the tank to stop him from spiralling around?

4. C

He might be on his way out honestly. Once they're swim-bladder stops functioning like that it's the beginning of the end. Some people keep a QT for this reason but if the parameters aren't identical it's risky, requires constant testing/monitoring. I'd give it a few days and see how he's doing. If he makes it or not you may want to add 4 more albino cories to induce more healthy schooling behavior (they like groups of a minimum of 6 but the more the merrier).

5. OP
    OP
    Briana Clifford

If he does die, I'm just worried with buying more fish incase the problem is contagious, I don't wanna buy more fish just to have them die again :( would the new fish be able to catch whatever the previous ones had?

I have a 5 gallon betta tank I could put him I guess since I know my betta is nonaggressive, but I'm not sure how much good that would do. I'm assuming that the conditions for my betta tank would be similar to the conditions for my community tank, except I have a driftwood in the community tank which lowers the pH a bit. I don't think moving him into the 5G would do much good.

6. C

The main thing is their immune health. They're exposed to a cornucopia of nasties on any given day so the most important thing is to keep their metabolism cranking away and do what you can to naturally boost their immunity. I feel it's best to let them fight the contagion themselves than adding medicine/chemicals which may just complicate things. Think of it in human terms: if you catch a cold you could get jacked up on Sudafed and go to work anyway but still be a little off for a few days OR just take ONE day off in bed with some chicken soup and you're good... or in this case garlic worms

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I would caution against moving anything to the healthy betta tank.