Something Wrong With My German Ram?

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was just cleaning and doing water changes in all my tanks. When I was refilling my 20 gallon I noticed this white spot on her head. My other Ram has no sign of this. Is it disease or did she bump her head on live rock? If pics would be better once she's colored back up, I literally just finished cleaning the tank, I can do that.

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your looking at columnaris. This is a bacteria found in all aquariums, all it takes is something to stress the fish out to get it. This can be very serious and you need to take care of it right away to safe your fish's life. This fish has it severly so your going to want to treat with Nitrofurazone. Do not add salt. this doesn't do anything other than lower the fish's immune system. I would also add garlic to the diet which will boost the immune system. Lastly, put in some indian almond leaves which have some medicinal properties and might help lower stress. I'm not recommending the leaves because of the anti fungal properties since this will do nothing for this gram negative infection.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is that Nitro stuff in anything? I called my local shop and they said they didn't sell it or almond leaves... by adding garlic do you mean just put some in the tank? I wonder what happened to stress her so bad

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure if it is or isn't. It's more of a chemical that you can buy and probably isn't going to be sold plainly at your lfs. I personlly prefer that a person knows what they are fighting other than just a name on a bottel. Fore example, look for something going to treat gram negative bacterial infections. I would also research columnaris medications instead and find out what store bought projects they have. As for garlic, there are storebought foods containing garlic or you could add a liquid garlic to the food. Stress is main problem allowing this disease to become evident, but genetics can sometimes play a role also. Lastly, just keep the aquarium clean. this is probably the best preventative.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you so much! I'll call again and see what they have. I know I have some sort of bacterial treatment from a few monthes ago from another tank. I'll have to find it but it was from the company that makes Prime. I hope she makes it through. But she's in a freshly cleaned tank, 30% water change and I'll dose with that. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll call around to see what I can find. I just read the article on it and I know somewhere nearby sells the Jungle Fungus tabs. I lowered the temperature as it recommended as well. No othe fish has any sign. And even the Ram doesn't seem too bothered by it, still active and swimming around. Thought breathing a bit quicker.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's weird, okay. On the post about columnaris it had that listed as a treatment

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might of read it correctly, because many beginner in experience hobbyists do recommend fungal treatments for columnaris. However, it doesn't work.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"You're in the US is a combo antibiotic treatment of and a based medicine found in the following popular brands: API -2 or Tetra Guard or Jungle Fungus Clear tabs. "
So those two chemicals are in those treatments?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom