Something wrong with my fish. Help

1. Chozon1 Member Member

As the title says, something is wrong with my fish. Or actually, just one of them. The last couple of days, it's been staying stationary around the heater. I didn't get worried until this morning when I woke up and saw it sitting on the bottom of my tank. At first I thought it was dead, then I saw it moving. Now, it's sitting still for awhile (like, no motion at all) then it will swim around the bottom or middle of the tank before settling on the floor again.

This one is a Glofish, but the other Glofish and three Zebra danios are doing fine. Swimming around, chasing each other, ETC. The only other occupants of the tank are a couple of Java Ferns and some Wisteria. Oh, and the ever present pond snails. I had one Glofish die last week, but I don't know how either. Woke up to find it on the filter stem.

Water parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10

I'm at a loss here. :;dk Physically, it looks just the same as when I brought it home four months ago. No white spots, no injury's. Nothing. The other fish are happy. I kind of thought it had velvet, but my water is usually warmer than colder, and the only gold color on it are the stripes it had when it came home (both pink fish had them). I'll get a picture up as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance.

2. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Maybe a case of dropsy? I dunno about this one. This case is a puzzler :;dk.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry for your glofish being ill :(
    are you still using stability? the reason I ask, is that could be giving you a false test that the tank is cycled....its a bacteria that needs to be added constantly and eats up the good bacteria needed to cycle a tank properly....if you are not, maybe the others are picking on him for some reason? glo's are nit pickers for sure and all mine do well in bigger schools but terrorize eachother in smaller sizes...

hope he gets better!~

4. Chozon1 Member Member

Thanks. I stopped adding stability a week or so before I put my fish in...I think that was in early August/late July. Not sure. Anyway, the only thing I add now is Prime when I do a water change.

I guess I'll keep an eye on him and hope he get's better.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I was thinking the same thing as Shawnie about the Stability. It doesn't contain aquatic bacteria and so it dies (drowns), and therefore you have to keep adding it. But the problem is that it doesn't let your good bacteria grow because there's competition for the ammonia, a food source for aquatic and nonaquatic bacteria. I'd stop using the product and see if your tank stays cycled or if the cycle crashes.

As far as the glofish, could you post a picture? Maybe someone here will notice something you didn't? I remember that someone posted pictures of her fish a while ago and didn't realize anything was wrong. Other members noticed clamped fins and she found out her tank wasn't cycled and her fish had ammonia poisoning.

6. Chozon1 Member Member

75.jpg

That's a bad picture. But my camera doesn't do close-ups well. That gold spot near his/her head is part of the way the looks. Both pink ones have been that way since I got them in July.

Stability seemed to work for me. I stopped using it after two weeks, and my tank stayed cycled. The ammonia hasn't risen, Nitrite, ETC. It hasn't been put in there for several months, with my reading staying at Ammo. 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0-40.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hmmm although the pic is blurry, he looks good...colorwise and size wise....

0-40 is a huge difference...could it be nitrate poisioning? maybe up your water changes a bit to see if he perks up?

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

That's awesome about the stability.

9. Chozon1 Member Member

I'm glad he looks OK. Nitrate has stayed at around 10 or so, since my plants have started picking up. My last water change was on last Monday.

I've been watching him, and it looks like he can swim OK, just drops to the bottom after awhile

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Does it look a little pudgier than the others? Could it be preggers? I had a preggers danio once and she would hover at the bottom a lot before she finally released her eggs.

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is extremely rare for glofish to breed in home aquariums.

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'd have to respectfully disagree (to an extent). Danios (glofish) breed like crazy; the eggs just rarely develop to the point of fry because they're egg scatterers and usually get eaten by the other fish in the tank. If it's a female, she could very well be feeling the affects of pregnancy. :happy0034:

(I am in no way saying this is absolutely what's causing this behavior, though. I can't even tell if it's pudgy. Just a thought from my own experience with a preggers danio. :)) I'm hoping it's something less dangerous like a little pregnancy pouting or constipation.

Edit: I guess since they lay eggs, they can't technically be preggers. :p Eggers, maybe?

13. couesfanatic Member Member

Glofish breed like crazy just as danios do. I only have one glofish left, but when I had five, they had fry every week. I didn't raise any as glofish fry because they have legal issues.

I've noticed that glofish are very popular and are bred very fast to keep up with the demand. Every glofish I saw with a bent spine had health issues. I had two with a spine bent just a little. Both died quickly. If I ever buy Glofish again you can bet I will be very picky to buy only ones that look healthy and have a very straight spine. Mine had a bent spine from dorsal to ventral and also crooked from the anterior to posterior( mouth to tail).

I look at the Glofish at my lfs a lot and I always see bent spines.

Its hard to tell what yours looks like from the pics. I hope it gets well.

14. Chozon1 Member Member

I don't know if it's a female or not. I'd try feeding him/her peas, but it's not really moving. Even when I fed the rest of the bunch earlier.

And really, it looks a bit thin if anything.

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Asap, add the recommended dosage (or maybe a tad more) of Prime. If it is ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, Prime will neutralize them temporarily until your water change tomorrow.

Did you change some water yet as Shawnie suggested? It very well may be nitrAte poisoning and only affecting the weakest of the bunch. (Though less toxic than ammonia or nitrIte, nitrAte at too high a level can hurt fish, especially if they're already weak.) Try a 50% change and see if that perks him up.

:) Keep us posted!

16. Chozon1 Member Member

I checked the water parameters yesterday. No ammonia, nitrite, and 10 nitrate. The kit isn't that old, so I'm pretty sure it's giving accurate readings. Also, I have watersprite, Java Fern and an Anubias Nana in there to sop up whatever ammonia the filter doesn't get.

And the other fish are fine, not even showing signs of slowing down or sinking. THey're even playing with each other. It's just that one fish.

I'll add some prime anyway, because I'm willing to try most anything at this point.

17. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry Isaac. :(

Sometimes we don't know the conditions that our fish came from - how old they were, how well they were fed, water conditions.... This little glofish may just be already weak or old and it may be nothing to do with your tank conditions. :-\ I hope he gets better, though.
    :;hug2

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

your lucky then!!!!! because these glofish, do NOT normally breed in the hobbyists aquariums as mommybaby suggested....so count your blessings!! and dont attempt to sell them as its highly illegal...the ones we buy from our LFS, are usually treated with a sterilizing agent to prevent any breeding in the home aquaria trade.. are you sure you arent talking about glass fish that are dyed?

I dont have any other suggestions either other than parital daily water changes with prime...that never hurts anything and in case its left over from another issue, it can only help if the fin baby isnt too far gone...soaking the food in garlic is great also as it will help their immune system build up more! i hope he does ok!!!!

EDIT: I also do NOT believe this fish is pregnant....I so am keeping him in my fishy prayers

19. couesfanatic Member Member

Yep i'm sure it Glofish. The fry were red and green, it was pretty cool. I still have the female.

20. Chozon1 Member Member

After watching him more, I'm even more confused. He/she is still alive, and when I put some food down near it, went after it nicely. It will swim around to different parts of the tank, then settle down very still. It stays on balance using it's fins though.

Other fish are still fine.