Something wrong with guppy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Koniucha, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Koniucha

Koniucha Valued Member Member

I think something is very wrong with my guppy. He is suddenly at the bottom, tail sort of up, and just staying there. I took a video, but not sure how to add on the website

Now he is hiding under a piece of wood. Im scared he is dying. The other fish are fine.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Is he having trouble swimming? Sounds like swim bladder disorder.

Add a video by clicking the film-strip icon beside the tree icon. A photo would also help, if you can't figure out the video.

3. OP
    OP
    Koniucha

He is not swimming, so I would say yes. Where is the tree icon?

I don't even know how too add a picture. The app is down :(

How do I help if it is swim bladder?

I can't find him :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  4. Aster

5. OP
    OP
    Koniucha

Right now, he is face down in the sand, moving his fins but staying at the bottom

ugh I can't even post a pic. He is now in a corner of a cave I have. His head is on the sand and only his tail is showing. He is not moving, just his fins

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. Aster

If he is that far gone—I'm sorry, but his chances aren't looking too good. You can try to QT him and fast him for 3 days, then feed him a pea.

7. OP
    OP
    Koniucha

I have an empty 10 gal. It still has the old filter, but dried. Could I put him in there?

This happened so fast. He was fine earlier.

He died :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  8. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Condolences for your loss.

Any clue as to the cause? Water parameters?

9. OP
    OP
    Koniucha

I truly have no clue. Water is fine, ammonia is between .25 an .5. Nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 5.

I have three other guppies and they fine, swimming happy as clams. Everyone else is fine too. It really happened very fast.

10. codyrex97

Were his gills looking red? Do you use Prime? When was your last water change? Have you changed anything about the tank recently?

11. OP
    OP
    Koniucha

I didn't notice them red. I use prime and did a water change on Sunday, almost 50%. I have not changed anything recently.

12. codyrex97

No idea what happened then. Not familiar enough with guppies to analyze the situation beyond fish-general things. Maybe it was just a fluke that he got ill and passed away. Hopefully somebody can diagnose it!

13. Aster

With all the inbreeding of fancy guppies they're pretty fragile and sometimes they just die unexpectedly. It might not have been anything you could prevent. However, you might want to do some extra water changes on the main tank, just in case. You can never go wrong with clean water :)

14. OP
    OP
    Koniucha

I know, he was pretty and I miss the little guy.

I will change the water today

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice