Something wrong with Dwarf Lilys?

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These two are in a 5 gallon, cycled (Aquaclear20), heated, Betta tank. At I bought them at about the "size" of the one of the left, they grew until the leaves were at the top of the water! Then a few months ago their "stalks"(?) Broke and one started to regrow, the other looks like its melted moss or something.
I have never used fertilizers or anything in this tank.... what happened? I've done tests with the kit and they've never been off kilter....

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few possibilities.
1. Most likely, you need new soil/substrate/ferts for them or something along those lines. They are heavy root feeders.
Some species hibernate. I would guess that could be the case if yours are one of those species. If yours is, you can take it out, out it in a wet paper towel inside a ziplock bag, and place it in your fridge for about a month to a month and a half to simulate the cold season, and then replant.
A side note. While they are called dwarf lillies, they do get quite large and spread pretty well too. 5 gallons is a bit small for 2 of them, especially without ferts and just a single fish.

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MrBryan723 said:
A few possibilities.
1. Most likely, you need new soil/substrate/ferts for them or something along those lines. They are heavy root feeders.
Some species hibernate. I would guess that could be the case if yours are one of those species. If yours is, you can take it out, out it in a wet paper towel inside a ziplock bag, and place it in your fridge for about a month to a month and a half to simulate the cold season, and then replant.
A side note. While they are called dwarf lillies, they do get quite large and spread pretty well too. 5 gallons is a bit small for 2 of them, especially without ferts and just a single fish.
I just added the pictures, I forgot to. It's one betta and three baby nerites in the tank.
When I first got them they EXPLODED with how big they got then those broke off. One is growing back and then the other is just looking like a weird moss ball. I do have some liquid fertilizer, should I add it?

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
I just added the pictures, I forgot to. It's one betta and three baby nerites in the tank.
When I first got them they EXPLODED with how big they got then those broke off. One is growing back and then the other is just looking like a weird moss ball. I do have some liquid fertilizer, should I add it?
What level are nitrates at?
If they are super low 0-5 I'd venture you are starving them

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
What level are nitrates at?
If they are super low 0-5 I'd venture you are starving them
Let me test real quick to give you an accurate answer

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
Oh. No..... quite the opposite.... it is RED.....
Hhhhmmmm,what the heck hahahaha.
Of anything you need more plants yo! Lol.
Well I'd go with what was said about them being seasonal than and take their advice and put them in a paper towel in a baggie in the freezer.
Wouldnt hurt to try at this point

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
Hhhhmmmm,what the heck hahahaha.
Of anything you need more plants yo! Lol.
Well I'd go with what was said about them being seasonal than and take their advice and put them in a paper towel in a baggie in the freezer.
Wouldnt hurt to try at this point
Probably going to do a water change first and watch. If it doesnt do anything, I'll try and freezer thing....
That just seems like it'd kill it

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
Probably going to do a water change first and watch. If it doesnt do anything, I'll try and freezer thing....
That just seems like it'd kill it
You got any one in there that likes to eat plants????

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
You got any one in there that likes to eat plants????
My betta likes to sit on them. But the snails leave them alone

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just did a 50% water change. Moved his decor to clean under it (one was gross!). How long should I wait before retesting?
Should I be burying that brown part of the lilys? Or no?

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
I just did a 50% water change. Moved his decor to clean under it (one was gross!). How long should I wait before retesting?
Should I be burying that brown part of the lilys? Or no?
Test it right now,why not :) haha

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
Test it right now,why not :) haha
It's the same!
Also when I was shaking the test I was having little drops come out? Or maybe that was leftover from putting the tube in the tank?
I also now have a pouty betta

Attachments

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
It's the same!
Also when I was shaking the test I was having little drops come out? Or maybe that was leftover from putting the tube in the tank?
I also now have a pouty betta
Jeepers man..... that's odd, have you ever tried cleaning the decor and getting the slimy coat stuff off ?

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
Jeepers man..... that's odd, have you ever tried cleaning the decor and getting the slimy coat stuff off ?
Neither of his hides felt slimy when I took them out of the tank....
I looked at the brown root part(?) Of the Lilys and they're kinda slimy? And... it's hard to describe. Like there was pieces of.... algae like dandruff? Coming off of it and in the rocks. Like dissolved? Or is that just algae growing on the brown part?

Attachments

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
Neither of his hides felt slimy when I took them out of the tank....
I looked at the brown root part(?) Of the Lilys and they're kinda slimy? And... it's hard to describe. Like there was pieces of.... algae like dandruff? Coming off of it and in the rocks. Like dissolved? Or is that just algae growing on the brown part?
Looks like algae to me.
That stinks the plants are hurt...you would think with that amount of nitrates they would be doing welll eating them up

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
Looks like algae to me.
That stinks the plants are hurt...you would think with that amount of nitrates they would be doing welll eating them up
Should I get a pitcher of treated water and gently rinse them? Liquid Fertilizer? Should that part have been buried? I'm a plant newbie.
There are nerite snails in the tank! Algae shouldn't be a problem.
I LOVE these Lilys. The one is doing OK but the other hasn't done anything...

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bry said:
Should I get a pitcher of treated water and gently rinse them? Liquid Fertilizer? Should that part have been buried? I'm a plant newbie.
There are nerite snails in the tank! Algae shouldn't be a problem.
I LOVE these Lilys. The one is doing OK but the other hasn't done anything...
I am not 100% sure if it should be buried or not honestly...some plants get buried and other you have to glue or shove into pieces of wood because they will rot and die if planted directly in the gravel.

OP
Bry

Bry

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
I am not 100% sure if it should be buried or not honestly...some plants get buried and other you have to glue or shove into pieces of wood because they will rot and die if planted directly in the gravel.
The one in the back's brown part is half buried, his is just HUGE.
I've tried them being buried, tried half, tried out and sitting on the gravel. I just dont know what is "right". And now I'm sad they're "sick" and I dont know how to make them better.....

New Threads