Something very weird with Angelicus Loach (Botia kubotai)

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by MotherMajesty:), Jan 2, 2013.

1. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

I have an angelicus loach that has a very swollen belly - not like with bloat, though. The fish is grayed out, but the markings on this loach have never been as stark a black & ivory/white as on the others. Still, it's grayer now that it's ever been. Angelicus are not know to breed in captivity according to loaches online, so I'm worried that it's some type of disease. I tried to attach couple pics to show what I mean, but the files are too large, so I need to work on them and get back with another post. The pics are in my gallery here if you want to look in the meantime. They're the most current pics in the gallery. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    MotherMajesty:)

Hopefully these pics will come through... Note the color difference between the loach in question and the others.

Angelicus_1.jpgAngelicus_2.jpgAngelicus_3.jpg

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

wow it's colors are reeeally faded. I would put it in quarantine for observation - mainly to see if it's color returns, but also because of it's stomach. It looks like it could be fat with eggs - not breeding in captivity and becoming full with eggs are two different things. But, it could be something else too, like parasites - they are wild caught.

How long have you had them?
    How does it interact with the others/how do the others interact with it?

4. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I would be more concerned with it's color than the size of it's stomach at this point. that doesn't look like a normal greying out. I too would advise quarantining . Maybe good clean water and some rest will help.
    as loaches are very sensitive to meds I personally try this first.

These have not been bred in home aquaria as yet but they do fill with eggs and at times get huge. Sometimes they will expel the eggs or simply re absorb them. That does not look like the case with your loach.
    Please keep us posted.
    Carol

5. OP
    OP

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll try to answer all the questions.

I've had the angelicus for at least 6 months - maybe 8 or 9 months. I bought them in small bunches over time, so I didn't aquire them all at once. They're all from PetSmart, but I haven't had any problems with them up until now. The fish is eating and swimming well. I haven't seen any unusual interaction between her (can we assume that?) and the other loaches or the other fish. Everything is the same except for the color and the swelling.

The swelling in the loach began within the last few days. I'd had a bout of ich and raised the temp to 86F beginning Dec. 18. All the fish seemed to be healthy, so I began to bring the temp down yesterday, but the loach looked like this before that. Could it be a secondary infection? I have many loaches, so I hate to try medications, but if I need to treat, I will. Given the recent ich, maybe I should treat the whole tank rather than quarantine just the loach in question. (?) I'd appreciate the benefit of your wisdom and experience on that decision.

If it's not an infection, and if the loach doesn't pass the eggs or reabsorb them, then what happens?

6. OP
    OP

Oh, for the love of...

Just noticed that one of my silver hatchets is bloated. He's at the point where his scales are just starting to 'pinecone' out. He's swimming fine and is eating. He's got to be at or past the 5-year life expectancy of a hatchet fish - I've had him for that long. Since I'm having the problem with the loach, too, is this confirmation of disease or parasites? If so, what would you recommend as the best approach to treatment?

This is sooo discouraging to have happen after the ich. Is my tank jinxed? ;)

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice