Something took a big bite out of a cardinal tetra :(

1. Kimimush Initiate Member

This morning I woke up to a barely alive cardinal tetra, he had a big chunk missing from his side. I had to euthanise him as the chunk was deep and he was dying. The only other fish in the tank are other cardinals, some male guppies, and a bristlenose pleco which joined the tank a few days ago. The guppies can be feisty as there are no females so I first suspected those until I saw the size of the chunk which has turned me to suspect the bristlenose. Although new and settling in, his eating was worrying me as he refuses pellets, wafers, and every veg I have tried except cucumber which he loves....is it possible he bit this tetra for a protein fix? I can see nothing rough or sharp in the tank that he may have caught himself on so I am stumped.. last night he was fine :(

[​IMG]

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

My bristle nose plecos have never attacked any fish in the tank, but I suppose there is always a first time.

I am not sure what caused the large missing piece on your cardinal. So sorry for your loss. :(

3. Bigreddiscus Member Member

I think the tetra might of died of shock then the pleco took a bite out of it. I'm sorry about the tetra.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I don't think the BNP would work that hard on a still living fish...

What size is your tank and how many fish are in it? What are the water parameters?

5. FiscCyning Member Member

What kind of filter do you have? It's possible he got stuck in the intake and that's what caused the injury.