Something stuck to my fish?

• Thread starter Pcc182
  • Start date

Pcc182

Hi!

A friend just gave me these fishes but one of them has something stuck to its fin that I have never seen before.
whatever it is, seems to be “vibrating” or moving somehow, but it’s stuck to the same part of the fin.
It’s worrying me because the black spot on the fin is getting bigger and bigger. Any advice?

Attachments

Miss

What are the water parameters? Is the water filtered? How big of a tank, how many and how large are the goldfish?
Discolored fin(s) may indicate ammonia burns.

edit: if toxic ammonia is present, it burns. Fins are more susceptible (or at least more noticeable) then scales. The darkening is the fish’s response to some sort of damage and/or healing. Like a scab, or frostbite.

Pcc182

Miss said:
What are the water parameters? Is the water filtered? How big of a tank, how many and how large are the goldfish?
Discolored fin(s) may indicate ammonia burns.

edit: if toxic ammonia is present, it burns. Fins are more susceptible (or at least more noticeable) then scales. The darkening is the fish’s response to some sort of damage and/or healing. Like a scab, or frostbite.
We literally just got those ones from the shop yesterday so we haven’t set anything properly up yet. I suspect ammonia burn because the tank they were in was filthy.
I’m really worried about that living creature attached to the fin as it looks like it’s making it worse and widening the dark spot :/

Miss

Pcc182 said:
We literally just got those ones from the shop yesterday so we haven’t set anything properly up yet. I suspect ammonia burn because the tank they were in was filthy.
I’m really worried about that living creature attached to the fin as it looks like it’s making it worse and widening the dark spot :/
It’s difficult to see a living creature in the photos. I just assumed you were referring to the blackening dorsal fin. I do notice some slight definition below the blotch that might look like something in one of the pictures, but it’s difficult to say without a clearer image. knowing how large the fish is will help others determine what type of “bug” it is.

Considering the parasites that I’m familiar with, an improper setup with toxins like ammonia and nitrite will hurt/kill your fish faster than an invader. If your fish is suffering from a parasite, poor water quality will exacerbate any such infestation.

Ryz

Couldnt quite make out the best image, but I'm thinking fish lice. Their like flat and wide, and will glide swim around the water column(the water >_<) Their like translucent too. They can move around a fish, and it's actually pretty creepy. You can remove it manually, or salt them(salt water of course, dont pour salt on your fish). The black spot could be your fish healing from the louse being attatched and feeding on it.

Miss

Ryz said:
Couldnt quite make out the best image, but I'm thinking fish lice. Their like flat and wide, and will glide swim around the water column(the water >_<) Their like translucent too. They can move around a fish, and it's actually pretty creepy. You can remove it manually, or salt them(salt water of course, dont pour salt on your fish). The black spot could be your fish healing from the louse being attatched and feeding on it.
bumped up the brightness on my phone (had a major occipital headache last night so phone was dark), and could make the image out a little more clearly. based on what I could make out, and the googles, I think you’re correct in louse.

Top Bottom