something really strange with my rainbow sharks

1. kausthubh Initiate Member

hello everyone, i'm new to this forum... and i have NO idea where else to ask this question...

i've had my fish from about 6-7 months now. recently, i added two rainbow sharks to my small collection- they were a gift from my mom and i didn't know about the problem with keeping more than one of these fish in the same tank (big one bullies the small one). but there wasn't much of a problem with this.

anyway the really weird thing that i noticed, was that at feeding time, both the sharks lose their fin colour temporarily!!! i have NEVER seen this happen with any other fish. the orange hue slowly becomes paler and paler till there's barely any colour left, and this happens in all the fins but not in the tail. the fins come back to normal in a few hours' time.

apart from this strange phenomenon the fish seem to be quite normal.........

please don't think i'm a strange person for asking something like this. it's really happening, i'm not playing pranks here...!!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Your tank is a 30 Liter? Unfortunatly, it's much too small for the fish you have.
    I'm sorry to say your fish are incompatible, as you already know.
    Your sharks are tropical and your gold fish prefer cooler water.

It's recommended that you have 20 gallon for the first gold fish and an additional 10gs for each additional gold fish.
    They're huge waste producers so there's likely hood of ammonia poisoning.

Your rainbows shouldn't be together, as you've noticed from the aggression. They really need at least a 55 gallon tank.

Your Iridescent sharks have the potential to grow to 4 feet. Imo, they should be returned to the fish store unless you're prepared to buy a huge tank. 300 gallons is recommended.

All your fish are at risk for stunted growth and aggression.
    It will be impossible to maintain proper water conditions with the bio load these fish produce.

I find it hard to believe these fish are in a 30 Liter tank.
    Imo, the color loss is either from stress or poor water conditions.
    I'd suggest you test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Sadly, there's no easy fix for your tank other than buying larger tanks or returning your fish.
    Here are their profiles:
    Gold Fish
    Rainbow Shark
    Iridescent Shark

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

is your tank 30 litre or 30 gallon?

I am afraid I am going to have to agree with lucy in that even if it is a 30 gallon that your tank is severly over stocked and your fish wont have much of a chance for survival in the future.

I would recommend you take all the sharks back and if you want to keep the goldfish then 2 might be ok in a 30g but I still think it may be too small.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore. Your tank is about 8 US gallons. That is way too small for the fish you have. Your fish, as the other said, get very large.

The overcrowding could be causing stress.
    Is your tank cycled?

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!

great advice from others, I just wanted to welcome you and hope things look up soon!

6. kausthubh Initiate Member

i know my tank is too small... since i didn't buy any of my fish (except the golds) and they were all given to me by someone or the other, i didn't really have a choice. none of the fish stores are ready to take my fish (or anyone else's for that matter) since they themselves are overstocked (i saw a 150 litre tank with around 200 iridescent sharks!)

hey, this is india. we don't use any heaters/cooler for the tanks.... those things aren't even available in most places....

same goes for the test kits. the local storekeepers probably dont even know what a test kit for fish tanks is

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know if your city has one, but Delhi has an aquarium society. Maybe you could contact them to find out how to get proper supplies?

delhiaquariumsociety.com

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I understand that the fish were given to you but they wont survive in those conditions whether they are heated or not.

Personally, I would see if there is anyone who can take the fish on as I know how upsetting and distressful it can be if your fish are dying infront of your eyes.

9. kausthubh Initiate Member

@mommybaby295

i live in mumbai

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

That's why I gave you a website. Maybe you could phone or email them to ask about Mumbai's availablity, or maybe Mumbai has a society.

Also, I am not sure what availability is from websites such as ebay in India.