Something Particular I Found In My Local Petco Today...

tocandesu
Walked around in my local Petco today to see what they had in stock and came across this particular display tank.

bIhS4N2.jpg
Seems like a display tank for Angelfish, and Serpae Tetras. Nothing out of the ordinary. Until you see the dead fish in the middle of the tank. A betta? Look again, another female betta at the top of the tank?

I decided to look around the tank some more. Why would they put two females together?

01TPirt.jpg

Turns out there are more females. Seems like they're trying to make a sorority in their display tanks?!?

lof3jOh.jpg
Doesn't seem to be working judging from the amount of dead bettas. (Though that one above is struggling to live).

Never seen a store attempt this before. Seems like a waste of bettas. Why this tank as well?

Repolie
Aaah... The poor sorority community tank. A Petland in my area attempted to do one in a ~10 gallon tank with 3 bettas. 2 were bullied, one got removed because of that, the other one was at the bottom and would randomly have darting fits. The one dominant one was just happily greeting me and when she saw the betta at the bottom, she chased and attacked her. Makes me sad looking at them. Why do they do this even though they don't research?! Truly a waste.

tocandesu
Oh whoops. I had both General Discussion and Freshwater Beginners opened separate tabs. Guess I wasn't in the right one when I started a new post. I think this post belongs in General Discussion if any mods see this. (I don't think anyone is online at this moment.)

endlercollector
Oh, that's so sad! Looks like something working there doesn't understand that female bettas can and will kill each other...

YellowFish13
Bizarre, and totally frustrating. What a waste of bettas.

Maybe go up to the employee who is running the fish area and inform them (nicely) that there is a dead betta in the tank. Then mabye casual slip in something like ‘how’s is this tank going? Are you making a female betta sorority?’ wait for their answer and see what’s up. Seems like a lot of random fish in a tank.

tocandesu
Bizarre, and totally frustrating. What a waste of bettas.

Maybe go up to the employee who is running the fish area and inform them (nicely) that there is a dead betta in the tank. Then mabye casual slip in something like ‘how’s is this tank going? Are you making a female betta sorority?’ wait for their answer and see what’s up. Seems like a lot of random fish in a tank.
Ah, I should've done that. There seemed to be a severe lack of employees at the store though. Didn't see anyone in the fish section and small animal section at all.

YellowFish13
Classic petstore. Really frustrating, most of the chain petstores have a real lack of educated employees. Though I have found some amazing pet stores, so it is hard to pin point a specific chain.

IHaveADogToo
I mean, honestly it's probably the angelfish killing the bettas.

goldface
To be honest, I think they’re done by well-meaning indivduals who think they’re doing the bettas a favor and releasing them into tanks, thinking it’s better than the tiny cups. I heard about people actually doing this.

fish time
Wow, very sad yeeeeee
See how come some people not all but some peoplenat the pet store don't take time and educate themselves I mean sure you got the tank up ill give you that one but what about the fish always research before throwing in 2 bettas thankyou to those who study before makeing random descions

Also some people may do this because they think certain species of fish need friends but in reality they don't except for schooling fish really, corys, tetras, loachs, rasboras

tocandesu
To be honest, I think they’re done by well-meaning indivduals who think they’re doing the bettas a favor and releasing them into tanks, thinking it’s better than the tiny cups. I heard about people actually doing this.
I would've put them in separate tanks though. This just looks like a failed sorority.

forestwind1234
Mine puts them in tanks with the GloFish, but I haven't seen any deaths in mine...

jpm1993
Classic petstore. Really frustrating, most of the chain petstores have a real lack of educated employees. Though I have found some amazing pet stores, so it is hard to pin point a specific chain.
I agree with you. They are mostly teenagers or unmotivated adults who don’t care to learn the basics of fish keeping. I wish more people would support small businesses and visit their local mom and pop fish store. It’s only in those places you can find true hobbyists with years of experience to draw from. People would be so much more successful in their fish keeping

Cherie G
I agree with you. They are mostly teenagers or unmotivated adults who don’t care to learn the basics of fish keeping. I wish more people would support small businesses and visit their local mom and pop fish store. It’s only in those places you can find true hobbyists with years of experience to draw from. People would be so much more successful in their fish keeping

So true! It is a shame that so many of these chains have driven the mom and pops places out. Stinks that a lot of fish keepers do not have much of a choice anymore. Fortunately I do. One thing I hate is when I see people going into the LFS I frequent, ask a bunch of questions, take up a bunch of the owners time and then head out the door without buying anything! You know they are headed for the chain or internet to use the LFS's info to buy what they need cheaper somewhere else. I understand wanting to save money especially if you are on a tight budget but it is so damaging to the business when people do that. For example the place I go is a husband and wife team and that is it, sure stuff is more expensive but the owners know my name, what fish I have etc and make sure I am buying what I need not what is going to make them the most money. Plus I trust their advice totally, they have never steered me wrong. So in the long run it's probably been cheaper for me. Sorry for the rant and no disrespect to those who use the chain stores.

GlamCrab
I saw something similar once..
a little male betta in a tank with some tetras, except he looked ripped apart- almost all his fins were gone and he was hiding in the bottom, then behind the filter.
Then I noticed the huge female betta in the same tank. (She was adult, he was not)
I told an employee and they moved him to a tank with cardinal tetras.

The weird thing was.. it was written on the tank not to add a betta in there (obviously because of the female)
It confused the employee since he was not even supposed to be in there.

I would have taken him home if I had place for him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Alexolotl
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
BornThisWayBettas
Replies
Views