Something On My Molly Fish

Alphafish98
I just got this molly today and I notice this clear scale like thing or something like that on the molly’s body can anyone help me on what it might be. Just want to be safe make sure it’s nothing serious. Sorry for the bad photos.

Attachments

• 4A1D2DA8-7B7C-483E-8122-85872DB1FA0D.jpeg
    4A1D2DA8-7B7C-483E-8122-85872DB1FA0D.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 77B8F30C-37B3-475E-954E-A9FC49F45620.jpeg
    77B8F30C-37B3-475E-954E-A9FC49F45620.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 9E83FC63-3453-4E79-AF4A-8CF876E639FE.jpeg
    9E83FC63-3453-4E79-AF4A-8CF876E639FE.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 30
  • F87E759D-AB56-44EB-A0B9-AEB22AB21380.jpeg
    F87E759D-AB56-44EB-A0B9-AEB22AB21380.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2BB61CB1-1385-433A-BE6D-BEBBE2D541A0.jpeg
    2BB61CB1-1385-433A-BE6D-BEBBE2D541A0.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 30
  • BB5EA152-4605-4104-BF07-C321AFD7A45C.jpeg
    BB5EA152-4605-4104-BF07-C321AFD7A45C.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
Demeter
Can't really see it too well in the photos, but I'd look up fish lice and see if it matches. Don't add it to the main tank yet, always quarantine new fish to avoid introducing diseases to the main tank.

Alphafish98
Can't really see it too well in the photos, but I'd look up fish lice and see if it matches. Don't add it to the main tank yet, always quarantine new fish to avoid introducing diseases to the main tank.
I hope it isn’t serious it doesn’t look bad and the Molly is acting normal.

IHaveADogToo
I think I faintly see some white discoloration on the fish's body. Is that what you're referring to?

Agree - do not put this fish in your main tank yet.

Alphafish98
I think I faintly see some white discoloration on the fish's body. Is that what you're referring to?

Yea somewhat of a discoloration, but I don’t think it’s fish lice it’s pretty clear and doesn’t look like a parasite, I even check the other mollies I got and they’re fine nothing on them and showing good health. The orange one is too but I just saw that clear thing.

Alphafish98

So do you think it’s something serious I’ve been eyeing the fish and it’s been the same these past few days and she’s happy doing normal things and eating and the other fish are fine too they don’t have that thing on them so is this a real cause for concern?

IHaveADogToo
Visibly discolored patches on the fish's body can very well be a symptom of a disease. Just because a fish is acting normal and eating doesn't mean they are healthy. Fish diseases can take weeks to get worse or spread to other fish. This minor thing that you might think is no cause for concern now could, in a month, become an epidemic in your tank. You should always quarantine new fish for a few weeks before adding them to your main tank, but the quarantine stage is especially important with a fish like this one, that is showing visible discoloration. I don't know why this particular fish is discolored like that, but I don't think you want to find out what the cause is by it spreading to the rest of your fish. Personally, I would not have bought this fish (or any fish from the same tank) after seeing that discoloration, and if I didn't notice it until I got the fish home I would take it back to the store. I've made the mistake before of turning a blind eye to a "minor thing" thinking it was "no cause for concern" and the fish ended up infecting my entire tank with multiple parasites.

Alphafish98
Visibly discolored patches on the fish's body can very well be a symptom of a disease. Just because a fish is acting normal and eating doesn't mean they are healthy. Fish diseases can take weeks to get worse or spread to other fish. This minor thing that you might think is no cause for concern now could, in a month, become an epidemic in your tank. You should always quarantine new fish for a few weeks before adding them to your main tank, but the quarantine stage is especially important with a fish like this one, that is showing visible discoloration. I don't know why this particular fish is discolored like that, but I don't think you want to find out what the cause is by it spreading to the rest of your fish. Personally, I would not have bought this fish (or any fish from the same tank) after seeing that discoloration, and if I didn't notice it until I got the fish home I would take it back to the store. I've made the mistake before of turning a blind eye to a "minor thing" thinking it was "no cause for concern" and the fish ended up infecting my entire tank with multiple parasites.

So what do you think I should do ? I don’t have the money for a quarantine tank right now all I have is a 1.5 gallon tank.

IHaveADogToo
If I were in your shoes, I'd return that fish as to not bring disease into the main tank. I'd rather know for certain I had healthy fish than play Russian Roulette with a potentially sick one.

You say you can't afford a quarantine tank. Can you afford to treat an outbreak of fish disease?

I'm sorry to be so blunt here. I recommend you invest in a quarantine tank before you invest in more fish. It doesn't have to be very big. It's only going to house new incoming fish for a few weeks at a time, so it doesn't need to be as big as the fish would need if it were their permanent home. 1.5 gallon is of course too small, but if you are stocking (for example) a 10-20 gallon tank, then a 5 gallon quarantine tank is probably fine.

Alphafish98
If I were in your shoes, I'd return that fish as to not bring disease into the main tank. I'd rather know for certain I had healthy fish than play Russian Roulette with a potentially sick one.

You say you can't afford a quarantine tank. Can you afford to treat an outbreak of fish disease?

I'm sorry to be so blunt here. I recommend you invest in a quarantine tank before you invest in more fish. It doesn't have to be very big. It's only going to house new incoming fish for a few weeks at a time, so it doesn't need to be as big as the fish would need if it were their permanent home. 1.5 gallon is of course too small, but if you are stocking (for example) a 10-20 gallon tank, then a 5 gallon quarantine tank is probably fine.

Okay I’m not saying I’m not going to get one I’m saying I literally can’t afford it at the moment I don’t have money, sorry but I’m not rich I have to wait till I get paid later. And I’ll also get the medicine too. I can’t get everything all at once but I have no choice but to wait. I can’t put the fish anywhere unfortunately.
And one more thing can this affect snails because I have some in there. Or is just affect fish ?

IHaveADogToo
It depends on what is wrong. Like I said, I don't know what is causing the discoloration, I am just speaking on the side of caution. That said, some diseases/parasites can infect cross-species, while some others can't. Ich, for example, is one ailment that can jump species and infect snails, while something like dropsy is not.

I understand that you can't afford it at the moment. There is no hurry. That is why I suggest you go ahead and return this one fish now. Because it does look like something could be wrong with it, and you don't have the means to quarantine it.

Alphafish98
It depends on what is wrong. Like I said, I don't know what is causing the discoloration, I am just speaking on the side of caution. That said, some diseases/parasites can infect cross-species, while some others can't. Ich, for example, is one ailment that can jump species and infect snails, while something like dropsy is not.

I understand that you can't afford it at the moment. There is no hurry. That is why I suggest you go ahead and return this one fish now. Because it does look like something could be wrong with it, and you don't have the means to quarantine it.
Ugh I’m trying not to stress out I know it’s nothing to go nuts over yet but it still gives me a heart attack I’m too attached to my snails I had them longer and the mollies I just got but yea I’ll return the Molly. But hopefully I have enough money to get a quarantine tank and some medicine too just Incase the 3 have something harmful as well.

Alphafish98

Can I get medicine and put it in the tank itself too ? Like melafix and pimafix? Something like that.

IHaveADogToo
Its a bad idea to medicate your fish “just in case”. You don’t know for sure that they’ve been infected with something or not. If they start showing symptoms, then maybe, but you’ve given no indication that they are so I wouldn’t. Fish don’t always react positively to meds, especially when they don’t need them.

Alphafish98
Its a bad idea to medicate your fish “just in case”. You don’t know for sure that they’ve been infected with something or not. If they start showing symptoms, then maybe, but you’ve given no indication that they are so I wouldn’t. Fish don’t always react positively to meds, especially when they don’t need them.
Oh okay just making sure but thank you for telling me that now I know, I hope this whole problem isn’t nothing serious but gotta make sure. I’ll keep eyeing this fish and keep post what happens.

Alphafish98
Would a salt bath be good for it ? And if yes how would I do that and what kind of salt do I use ? And would ParaGuard be just as good too?

Top Bottom