Something On My Betas Gill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheatley696

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my bettafish, dovah, is about two years old for a while he's been very sluggish and lethargic,,,I thought he may be getting old and lazy but I think I'm horribly mistaken now.

There's something under his head, on his..Gills, I think? He is in a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank. The temp stays at 78° and should be fully cycled.

He only shares the tank with pest snails I can't seem to get rid of. I only noticed this growth today.

What is this? Can I help him somehow?

Attachments

OP
Wheatley696

Wheatley696

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use API liquid master watee testing kit. I was told test strips suck, so I've been using this type for two years..ill go test the waters again.

So..it might NOT be cycled..but I don't see why not? There's no ammonia, or nitrite, but no nitrate either. There where plants in there but I transferred them to my angel tank.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have the right kit. I'm sure other members will give their opinion soon.
Post your results when you take the test. Picture would be better.

OP
Wheatley696

Wheatley696

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't see anything like what he has, on the bettas in google images.. Right where the parts that flare out connect when he's not flaring, there is a big...something.

Even if it was normal, why would he be so...sluggish? He eats and sometimes moves, but sits in his rock arch or behind the heater and only moves if you tap the tank to get his attention..

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure that your temperture is at least 77-80°
Also you may just have a laid back Betta. My wife's Betta doesn't move around much either, and just hangs out in his little spot.

OP
Wheatley696

Wheatley696

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Betta beard?... My other two bettas never got this. Is it supposed to be rounded and..look sort of like some sort of tumor?

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All bettas have a beard. Its a frill/flap of skin that extends when they flare ALL bettas have one.. yours is just obvious because its red and your betta's body is paler.

Most have theirs the same color as their bodies but its nothing to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom