Something On My Betas Gill?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wheatley696, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Wheatley696New MemberMember

my bettafish, dovah, is about two years old for a while he's been very sluggish and lethargic,,,I thought he may be getting old and lazy but I think I'm horribly mistaken now.

There's something under his head, on his..Gills, I think? He is in a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank. The temp stays at 78° and should be fully cycled.

He only shares the tank with pest snails I can't seem to get rid of. I only noticed this growth today.

What is this? Can I help him somehow?

Attached Files:

2. BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

He looks fine to me.
    What are your exact water parameters? "Should be" doesn't mean that it is cycled.
    What test kit are you using?

3. Wheatley696New MemberMember

I use API liquid master watee testing kit. I was told test strips suck, so I've been using this type for two years..ill go test the waters again.

So..it might NOT be cycled..but I don't see why not? There's no ammonia, or nitrite, but no nitrate either. There where plants in there but I transferred them to my angel tank.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

You have the right kit. I'm sure other members will give their opinion soon.
    Post your results when you take the test. Picture would be better.

5. Wheatley696New MemberMember

More pics of the growth.

Attached Files:

6. BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

You are very close to being cycled. I suggest doing g another water change, and grab some Seachem Prime if you don't have any.

Looks normal. Go on Google and look at other Betta pictures. You will see the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Wheatley696New MemberMember

I don't see anything like what he has, on the bettas in google images.. Right where the parts that flare out connect when he's not flaring, there is a big...something.

Even if it was normal, why would he be so...sluggish? He eats and sometimes moves, but sits in his rock arch or behind the heater and only moves if you tap the tank to get his attention..

8. BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

Make sure that your temperture is at least 77-80°
    Also you may just have a laid back Betta. My wife's Betta doesn't move around much either, and just hangs out in his little spot.

9. _IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

I really can't spot anything wrong with him. It looks like a normal betta beard to me.

10. Wheatley696New MemberMember

Betta beard?... My other two bettas never got this. Is it supposed to be rounded and..look sort of like some sort of tumor?

11. BluMan1914Well Known MemberMember

You really need to stop worrying. Your Betta is fine.

12. Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

That "thing" on your bettas gills is his betta beard, lol. You'll get a full view when he flares. There's nothing wrong with him.

13. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

All bettas have a beard. Its a frill/flap of skin that extends when they flare ALL bettas have one.. yours is just obvious because its red and your betta's body is paler.

Most have theirs the same color as their bodies but its nothing to worry about

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice