Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Something Not Right With My Electric Blue Acara!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by KimmyT, Mar 7, 2019.

1. KimmyT Valued Member Member

This guy has been acting strange for the past week or 2. He only swims head down and sorta darts around or just hangs out in one spot. His head is literally always pointed down. Now I notice thick white poop trying to come out. Also his eyes look a little white/glassy.
    Did a 40% water change (approximate) last night bc the nitrates were around 70-80. Everything else was great. 0 nitrite, 6.8 pH, ammonia 0, and the other fish are acting fine.
    75 gallon tank
    Stock- 1 angel, 4 Bolivian Rams, 6 corys, 10 rasbora's, 1 dwarf gourami

Attached Files:

2. SaltyPhone Well Known Member Member

Is he always hanging out at the top? Do you have a qt to move him to?

3. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

4. KimmyT Valued Member Member

We don't have a quarantine, if we have had a sick fish in the past, we just take them back to our LFS. He is mostly vertical like that around the top, any other time he darts around quickly. Haven't seen him laying on the sand or anything. But the head down thing is worrisome!

5. KimmyT Valued Member Member

We actually do have levamisole.
    Any idea as to why he's head down?

6. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

Worms are eating his insides and he is off balance ??
    Swim bladder actually is a bacterial infection from my latest reading .Many things can happen called 'secondary infections/issues ' once a fish is weak and stressed .Often all are cured by dealing with initial problem but often people miss that and notice the secondary issues first and struggle through misdiagnosis .
    I would dose the levamisole at 1 gram per 20g of tank water .

7. SaltyPhone Well Known Member Member

From the video it looks like he may be having a swim bladder issue. Which would cause him to be swimming head down. That combined with the description of the poo +1 @coralbandit recommended treatment.

8. KimmyT Valued Member Member

Thanks to both of you!

9. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Not sure if this will help but i sometimes feed my fish peas....i put them in a cup and run hot hot water then deshell the peas and crumble them up....only clouds the water for a second but it is very helpful for their digestive track.... Hope he bounces back... Good luck!!

10. KimmyT Valued Member Member

I was reading about this too. Thanks!!