Something Not Right With My Electric Blue Acara!

KimmyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This guy has been acting strange for the past week or 2. He only swims head down and sorta darts around or just hangs out in one spot. His head is literally always pointed down. Now I notice thick white poop trying to come out. Also his eyes look a little white/glassy.
Did a 40% water change (approximate) last night bc the nitrates were around 70-80. Everything else was great. 0 nitrite, 6.8 pH, ammonia 0, and the other fish are acting fine.
75 gallon tank
Stock- 1 angel, 4 Bolivian Rams, 6 corys, 10 rasbora's, 1 dwarf gourami

Attachments

OP
KimmyT

KimmyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SaltyPhone said:
Is he always hanging out at the top? Do you have a qt to move him to?
We don't have a quarantine, if we have had a sick fish in the past, we just take them back to our LFS. He is mostly vertical like that around the top, any other time he darts around quickly. Haven't seen him laying on the sand or anything. But the head down thing is worrisome!

OP
KimmyT

KimmyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
I would worm him with metronidazole or levamisole HCI .
Do the whole tank .
We actually do have levamisole.
Any idea as to why he's head down?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Worms are eating his insides and he is off balance ??
SwI'm bladder actually is a bacterial infection from my latest reading .Many things can happen called 'secondary infections/issues ' once a fish is weak and stressed .Often all are cured by dealing with initial problem but often people miss that and notice the secondary issues first and struggle through misdiagnosis .
I would dose the levamisole at 1 gram per 20 gallon of tank water .

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From the video it looks like he may be having a swim bladder issue. Which would cause him to be swimming head down. That combined with the description of the poo +1 coralbandit recommended treatment.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure if this will help but I sometimes feed my fish peas....I put them in a cup and run hot hot water then deshell the peas and crumble them up....only clouds the water for a second but it is very helpful for their digestive track.... Hope he bounces back... Good luck!!

OP
KimmyT

KimmyT

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
Not sure if this will help but I sometimes feed my fish peas....I put them in a cup and run hot hot water then deshell the peas and crumble them up....only clouds the water for a second but it is very helpful for their digestive track.... Hope he bounces back... Good luck!!
I was reading about this too. Thanks!!

New Threads