Something laid an egg on my mystery snail?

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is this little white ball looking thing on my mystery snail. Not sure what it is, hopping someone on here could help me.
My tank includes
Corys
Platy
Mollys
Neon tetras
Amano shrimp
Nerite snail
Mystery snail
Rubber lip pleco
male dwarf gourami.
I saw 2 of these egg things on my snail before but i think one of my Corys ate one. I’ve looked around the rest of my tank and i don’t see any more eggs. Thinking it’s Corys but not sure. Not sure if this is related or not but one of my Corys has been shaking a lot today. Thank for the help!
C12D1124-9D87-4895-AB5B-7B4BD54834F4.jpeg

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guss is its a cory egg but there should be more unless the othef tsnk mates have eaten the.

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I bet it is a cory egg. I had a bunch of them in my last tank when my group of 11 corys went on breeding sprees after basically every water change. If you put the eggs in a breeder box (external would be better) or a separate tank and add some aquarium methylene blue to the water it prevents fungus from growing on as many of the eggs. You could have baby cory!

58734304316__434DD318-DA87-45CE-A8E0-39EE16C4D3E3.JPG

Just make sure you have something small enough to feed it and DON'T forget to feed it at least daily. I would have lapses of memory and they would die on me.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Awesome! Can i move the egg bound one into a separate enclosure?

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I bet you could as long as it has the same or similar water to the original tank. You can probably check around after future water changes and find some more eggs. Removing them from things might be more effective. I found that gently rolling them off of objects and onto a finger works fairly well. Using a card I almost always crushed them.

Here are the spots I usually found eggs.

Flat leaves on fake or real plants
End spots of bushy plants(hornwort though this was less common)
On things that got caught in the filter intake. They like water flow and will often lay their eggs where there is more. They always did in my tank.

As to your fish wiggling below I attached a video of my corys breeding at the beginning. The male will shake and deposit sperm into the apparent mouth of the female cory. The female will then move the sperm to an egg clutched between her lower back fins. She would then move to a spot and wiggle and deposit an egg. You could watch for this to occur in your tanks. The day after water changes starting around 10 they would breed until around 2.

OP
BobbyPickles1027

BobbyPickles1027

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquashrimp42 said:
I bet you could as long as it has the same or similar water to the original tank. You can probably check around after future water changes and find some more eggs. Removing them from things might be more effective. I found that gently rolling them off of objects and onto a finger works fairly well. Using a card I almost always crushed them.

Here are the spots I usually found eggs.

Flat leaves on fake or real plants
End spots of bushy plants(hornwort though this was less common)
On things that got caught in the filter intake. They like water flow and will often lay their eggs where there is more. They always did in my tank.

As to your fish wiggling below I attached a video of my corys breeding at the beginning. The male will shake and deposit sperm into the apparent mouth of the female cory. The female will then move the sperm to an egg clutched between her lower back fins. She would then move to a spot and wiggle and deposit an egg. You could watch for this to occur in your tanks. The day after water changes starting around 10 they would breed until around 2.

Thank you! I managed to put 2 into a separate enclosure. Do i have to feed the eggs or just when they hatch?

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BobbyPickles1027 said:
Thank you! I managed to put 2 into a separate enclosure. Do i have to feed the eggs or just when they hatch?
Cory eggs take 3-4 days to hatch and then the fry are still feeding off of the egg sac. So no, you’ll wanna start feeding them a day or two after they hatch.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquashrimp42 said:
From my reading up to 7 days is not uncommon either.
Yeah it can take longer depending on tank conditions. I’m pretty sure 3-4 days is the average though, and mine hatched in only two days.

New Threads