Something is wrong with my Rainbowfish!

cognizant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well one of my female Bosemani Rainbowfish is acting peculiar and I am not sure if she is sick or if she is hurt. Water parameters are Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0.

Her spine actually looks somewhat bent and she can only turn right. She is having trouble swimming down so she just stays at the top. Also, it looks as though one of her fins is 1/2 missing. I know she wasn't attacked, I have no aggressive fish in the tank.

Stock is:
6 Rainbowfish
6 Cory Cats
1 BN Pleco
5 Nerite Snails

I ended up moving her to my 10g QT tank and added some Stress Coat. The filters were too powerful for her in her current condition and they were just pushing her all over the surface of the tank.

I tried to get a picture, but they are all so blurry it is impossible to see anything! I know that would help with a diagnosis and I will keep trying to get a clear picture.

Any idea what this might be or what I can do to help her?

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long did it take for her spine to curve? It could be genetic. Are there any sharp objects in the tank she could've ripped her fin on?

cognizant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This was a sudden thing. She was perfectly fine yesterday morning. When I came home at night, I found her like this.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know danios often get curved spines from bad genes (from overbreeding), maybe that's what's happening to your fish? I'm not sure how quick the onset was for her though, you could try sending her a message.

cognizant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finally managed to get a decent picture of the fish. Even if I am able to fix what appears to be a cut on her side with daily water changes and stress coat, I am not sure what to do about the bent spine. I am afraid I won't be able to put her back in the 55g with the trouble she is having swimming. She will never be fast enough eat the food I put in with the other fish in the tank. She has a ton of trouble swimming down, and seems to only be able to turn to her right.

photo (1).JPG

cognizant

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well the little lady didn't make it. She passed away in the middle of the night

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom