Something Is Wrong With My Oscar's

am4

Reaction score
So I have had both my Oscar's since they were little. They used to get along very well. About a week ago I noticed my black and orange one being really mean to my orange one. He is so tore up. They aren't hungry. There's gold fish in their tank. I cleaned and rearranged the tank. I even put a pot in the 5ank so they could have shelter. What do I do now before big red dies?
received_274162596811933.jpeg
20190312_101613.jpg

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi and welcome sounds a bit like one is making his territory mark and protecting it. They look big Oscar's. What size tank are they in? Have they outgrown it, although I keep Oscar's there are a few here like @Dawn Michele who will I'm sure come in when she logs on and give you some advise

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello. It definitely sounds like he is marking his territory and protecting it. How big are they and what size tank do you have them in? You shouldn't keep Goldfish with them. That's NOT a good idea.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The red and black one looks a fair bit bigger than just-matured, but is that a breeding tube I see? If it has gone into beeeding mode and the other one hasn’t, that could explain the aggression. Is the other one smaller?

Keep the water good with plenty of changes and it should heal fairly quickly, but you might need to separate them.

am4

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's advise. They are about 9 to 10 inches long. I have them in a 150 gallon tank. I think I will have to separate them. Nothing will work. I dont want to see one die. I've had them since they were babies little. I just dont understand how they went from getting along to fighting each other. Well I dont keep the gold fish in there with them. I should have been more specific I fed them. They didn't eat them so they were still in the tank.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
am4 said:
I just dont understand how they went from getting along to fighting each other.
They matured. If they get the breeding urges everything changes...

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
UnfortunateIy they can change when they get older & bigger. Hope everything works out for the BEST for them!!!

Heathen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I say this every time that I see someone feeds goldfish. Do NOT use these fish as staple feed. They are mass bred, they have nothing in their guts but general store flakes if even and are kept in tanks by the masses. This isn't even the problem aside from having nothing in their gut. They also contain an enzyme called thiaminase that blocks thiamine absorption in the predator, over time, this creates a thiamine deficiency in the fish, and can lead to neurological problems and even death. This goes for rosy red minnows too.

For my predators, I keep a 20 long tank of platy that just keep breeding. I make sure they eat good so my animals get what they need. I have, in rare cases, hand administered thiamine to fish that I had taken in to get them back up to par.

am4

Reaction score
Heathen said:
I say this every time that I see someone feeds goldfish. Do NOT use these fish as staple feed. They are mass bred, they have nothing in their guts but general store flakes if even and are kept in tanks by the masses. This isn't even the problem aside from having nothing in their gut. They also contain an enzyme called thiaminase that blocks thiamine absorption in the predator, over time, this creates a thiamine deficiency in the fish, and can lead to neurological problems and even death. This goes for rosy red minnows too.

For my predators, I keep a 20 long tank of platy that just keep breeding. I make sure they eat good so my animals get what they need. I have, in rare cases, hand administered thiamine to fish that I had taken in to get them back up to par.
I never knew. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom