Something is wrong with my betta! Help

1. ej19 Initiate Member

I'm freaking out that my poor fish is dying. I've had him for 3 months and he's been healthy, growing, and active. I got home yesterday and didn't see anything wrong right away. Since this morning he's just been laying on the bottom of the tank hiding. I barely see him come up for air. I'm thinking I might have over fed him and it's constipation? I had to go out of town unexpectedly for 3 days so he obviously didn't get fed.... I might have over done it due to guilt when I got home. I tested my water (nothing out of the ordinary) and did my usual weekly maintenance of about a 30% water change. I just changed conditioners to prime.
    **On a side note.... We had some very hot weather for a week and I couldn't get my tank below 84F. It's now at 78F. So maybe the combination of higher water temp, being gone for 3 days, and over feeding was just too much stress and now he's bloated? I'm hoping that's the case but it's never happened before. I was following the stupid directions on the pellet package and wayyyy over doing it for about a month until I realized how much I should actually be feeding and this never happened before.
    Getting peas tomorrow in hopes that this will be the solution. Just wondering if anything else could be sneaking up on me? Ill be so upset if he dies! Should I float him in a small container in the tank until he perks up?

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I would say to just fast him and then feed the pea to him and hopefully he will be okay.

3. UniqueBettas Member Member

ok fast then use daphnia as they are more fibrous then peas and make sure to blanch the peas and remove the shell.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Closing old thread