Something is wrong with my adf foot

airia

What is the water volume of the tank? Qp gallon
How long has the tank been running? Started cycling in September. Just added 4 dwarf frogs 2 days ago
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 4 african dwarf frogs and one mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week but haven't yet
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I use sand so I do just above the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Api test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every other day
How much do you feed your fish? 2 pellets each
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? It won't bend its foot and it looks like there's something around it
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? I just noticed so I'm not sure
He won't bend it all but he's getting to the top for air fine with the one but I'm not sure what this could possibly be
I've veen doing a bit of research is it stuck shed maybe? I've ly had them for 2 days

Attachments

• 20211027_160810.jpg
    20211027_160810.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 19

fishydaddy

Looks like it could be stuck shed, or possibly fungus. I have seen my frogs nip at eachother's feet, so it's possible this is a bite wound that got infected. I don't think it would hurt to lightly remove the bulk of the gunk with a Q-tip, if it's stuck shed it might help free up his leg. If it's fungus, it will likely return without treatment.

airia

Looks like it could be stuck shed, or possibly fungus. I have seen my frogs nip at eachother's feet, so it's possible this is a bite wound that got infected. I don't think it would hurt to lightly remove the bulk of the gunk with a Q-tip, if it's stuck shed it might help free up his leg. If it's fungus, it will likely return without treatment.
I didn't know they could even do damage since they don't have teeth. I'm just not sure what to do if it is fungus. I don't have a spare tank to put him in to isolate

fishydaddy

It's possible but not super common. They could damage the skin if they bite hard enough though. It could have been injured another way as well, or it could've been an issue before you brought them home and the stress of the move triggered the infection. I personally would put them in a critter keeper floating in the main tank, that's usually how I treat fish if I don't have a QT tank available. The med dosing is just a bit tricky with the smaller volumes.

airia

It's possible but not super common. They could damage the skin if they bite hard enough though. It could have been injured another way as well, or it could've been an issue before you brought them home and the stress of the move triggered the infection. I personally would put them in a critter keeper floating in the main tank, that's usually how I treat fish if I don't have a QT tank available. The med dosing is just a bit tricky with the smaller volumes.
I can't just dose the hole tank? And what do I use.

fishydaddy

I probably wouldn't personally, just because it's a newly cycled tank, and while antifungals don't usually effect nitrifying bacteria, I would try to use as little chemicals as possible while it's in this delicate stage. But if you don't have a container you can isolate him in, you can treat the whole tank, just keep a close eye on your parameters. Methylene Blue is amphibian safe and great for fungal infections.

airia

I probably wouldn't personally, just because it's a newly cycled tank, and while antifungals don't usually effect nitrifying bacteria, I would try to use as little chemicals as possible while it's in this delicate stage. But if you don't have a container you can isolate him in, you can treat the whole tank, just keep a close eye on your parameters. Methylene Blue is amphibian safe and great for fungal infections.
I purchased tbe meth blue it will be here tomorrow. I borrowed a 10 gallon empty tank from a friend but I don't have a top for it so could I just add like half water? I have a spare heater as well
I purchased tbe meth blue it will be here tomorrow. I borrowed a 10 gallon empty tank from a friend but I don't have a top for it so could I just add like half water? I have a spare heater as well

Attachments

• 20211028_221856.jpg
    20211028_221856.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 5

fishydaddy

That would be perfect. You might want to put plastic wrap over the top and poke holes in it so your froggy can't climb out, I've had them escape through the smallest holes and they might be able to climb up a corner or on the heater wire. I'd just do frequent water changes on it and treat, shouldn't take more than a week or so!

airia

That would be perfect. You might want to put plastic wrap over the top and poke holes in it so your froggy can't climb out, I've had them escape through the smallest holes and they might be able to climb up a corner or on the heater wire. I'd just do frequent water changes on it and treat, shouldn't take more than a week or so!
Okay thank you! I have a 5 gallon bucket that I just used for the first meth blue treatment. I added 10 drops a gallon as it said and had him in there for 10 seconds then returned him to his qt tank. How often do I do the treatment?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishMommer