29 Gallon Tank Something is terribly wrong, fish repeatedly becoming ill - Page 3

Kathylee

Good Evening guys, I could really use some help.

I think there is something BAD in my 29g. I have made multiple posts over different fish in here, because they keep becoming sick. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING IT.

I tried:
Adding IAL, water changes, removed white sand & added brown. Added more plants & driftwood. Reduced stress.

March: 1 Course Maracyn no results.
1 month ago I used API Furan-2 in combo with Kanaplex in FOOD. Had positive results cories & ottos had fungus & red blotches that cleared up. But my pleco started getting a round spot on head.

Symptoms;
Tonight during feeding I noticed one Cory had red spots under pectoral fins again + under body & small white whispy raised areas also a thick white line down middle of forehead. PLECO has a big hole in head.

I don't understand why THIS tank keeps getting ill - despite every & anything I do. I have so much money, time and effort invested in these guys & am about to have a breakdown. I need help figuring this out. It's been almost 6 months of fighting this.

20210522_224939.jpg
20210522_224934.jpg
20210522_225023.jpg
20210515_231630.jpg

Kathylee

Not to instill panic but did you buy a TDS meter?
Alright I received the test kits & am doing them now. (The TDS meter is not here yet, it was out of stock so I ordered one from Amazon instead should be here by Sunday I think) & I took your advice on the crushed coral I ordered a small bag just to have on hand.

Alright guys... well to my SURPRISE the copper test reads 0ppm
So what do I do now?
Here's the phosphate results:

Attachments

• 1622666440270249970683091361537.jpg
    1622666440270249970683091361537.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 16226672373184002935068087688715.jpg
    16226672373184002935068087688715.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Alright I received the test kits & am doing them now. (The TDS meter is not here yet, it was out of stock so I ordered one from Amazon instead should be here by Sunday I think) & I took your advice on the crushed coral I ordered a small bag from just to have on hand.

Alright guys... well to my SURPRISE the copper test reads 0ppm
So what do I do now?
Here's the phosphate results:

Hmm I'll still stand by my original theory of just too much exposed ferts/feeding. Don't think it has to be any more complicated than that...but I'll keep watching the thread

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Hmm I'll still stand by my original theory of just too much exposed ferts/feeding. Don't think it has to be any more complicated than that...but I'll keep watching the thread
Okay, so at this point, what should I do? Keep doing water changes to reduce waste/nutrients?
I have to finish my meds before a WC, my last dose of Kanaplex is tonight. So I'm going to let it soak overnight into Thursday & then do my normal routine WC Friday.
The only thing I have on hand that "may" help absorb extra nutrients in the tank is carbon inserts & I have a brand new unopened package of Purigen in the fish drawer. Currently the filter just has big sponges in it & filter floss no carbon.

On the plus side my 2 remaining cories look better! The one who had a red mouth it has cleared up, They actually swam around today.. Since the disease outbreak they stay hidden under plants in the corner, so it was nice to see them out & about sand-sifting & swimming.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Okay, so at this point, what should I do? Keep doing water changes to reduce waste/nutrients?
I have to finish my meds before a WC, my last dose of Kanaplex is tonight. So I'm going to let it soak overnight into Thursday & then do my normal routine WC Friday.
The only thing I have on hand that "may" help absorb extra nutrients in the tank is carbon inserts & I have a brand new unopened package of Purigen in the fish drawer. Currently the filter just has big sponges in it & filter floss no carbon.

On the plus side my 2 remaining cories look better! The one who had a red mouth it has cleared up, They actually swam around today.. Since the disease outbreak they stay hidden under plants in the corner, so it was nice to see them out & about sand-sifting & swimming.

Hmm well I guess if that's working then just keep going and finish the dose. Just dont feed and you wont have to worry about extra nutrients.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Just wanted to do a quick update. The kanaplex treatment seems to be doing some good. I saw the 2 remaining cories do something today that I haven't seen them do in a while, they were active!! Swimming around & even playing in the air stone bubbles! (Used to do this all the time)

And the pleco who had a large hole in her head also looks much better, I think its healing over- well compared to the earlier photos anyway.. even looks like she has grown a bit.

20210604_132004.jpg

Attachments

• 20210604_131822.jpg
    20210604_131822.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Kathylee

Spoke too soon. Found a dead Otto with red streaks on stomach, side, and back...ugh
What about parasites?
I've treated for gram negative/positive bacteria and fungal infections. The only thing I haven't treated for is parasites. Could parasite or protozoans cause symptoms such as these?

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Not to instill panic but did you buy a TDS meter?
Hey CherryShrimp420 , TDS meter just came in the post. Here is the results!
Tap Water (source water) : 227
29g Tank: 245
20g tank: 226

Recap:
API Copper test: 0ppm
API Phostphate test: .25ppm

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Hey CherryShrimp420 , TDS meter just came in the post. Here is the results!
Tap Water (source water) : 227
29g Tank: 245
20g tank: 226

Recap:
API Copper test: 0ppm
API Phostphate test: .25ppm

Okay great, your TDS is fine. I guess your tank is even more of a mystery now...

Upvote 0

spleenharvester

You have my sympathies OP. I lost nearly all of my livestock to an unknown disease over the past two weeks, that came with a guppy I bought from Ebay. Touch wood it seems to have stopped with the most recent one that died, but I never got any identification of the disease.

My advice would be to immediately QT anything that is even vaguely showing symptoms. Unfortunately that didn't work for me though, just kept spreading.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

You have my sympathies OP. I lost nearly all of my livestock to an unknown disease over the past two weeks, that came with a guppy I bought from Ebay. Touch wood it seems to have stopped with the most recent one that died, but I never got any identification of the disease.

My advice would be to immediately QT anything that is even vaguely showing symptoms. Unfortunately that didn't work for me though, just kept spreading.
Thanks, sorry about your fish as well. I have a Quarantine tank running all the time, usually it just is a grow out for plants.. Right now a couple of Newer Platys & ottos are in it under observation. The 29g that is having issues, just has cories & ottos in it, they have all been exposed so I've just been treating the whole tank instead of removing them, but when this first started I did remove and treat individuals- unfortunately they died and it continued to spread anyway- whatever is it.

But I invested in the tests so at least we can rule out copper and such. I've added a bag of ceramic rings to the filter to increase BB surface area, just gonna keep the water clean, and hope things improve. The kanaplex seemed to help a little. I think I've done my best, I'm stumped.

I ordered a bunch of "used" fish disease books & manuals, along with some corydoras specific books- I feel like they cost me a small fortune, but hopefully they'll help me understand & be more prepared for things in the future.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Alright Update: the pleco looks incredibly much better! She's been eating the driftwood 24/7 though & making a non-stop poop trail which is unsightly. But the bump/hole on her head has cleared up!

2 remaining cories, one looks well. The other looks not well. She has an odd white patch on her side which I've read is like a common columnaris/Saddleback type infection?

I saw an Otto sucking on it tonight- & I have NEVER seen any of my ottos do that before so I thought that was very odd. BOTH that particular Otto & THAT particular Cory seem not to feel well still.

20210612_212514.jpg
20210612_212522.jpg

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I need help.... There's new symptoms- maybe a symptom I have not caught until now because it is on the underside of the corydoras.

Her stomach looks sunken in & has a "pinched," look to it. Fins also look red & irritated. Prior to this tank her stomach was always rather plump & wide. I physically have seen her eat at every feeding each night. Ugh I'm so frustrated, and very sad. I've had the UV sterilizer going too. Parameters are stable.

Could a parasite be causing all this mess? And all the other stuff secondary infections?

I tried to get photos but it was very hard because she was swimming.

20210619_220203.jpg
20210619_220200.jpg
20210619_220156.jpg

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I need help.... There's new symptoms- maybe a symptom I have not caught until now because it is on the underside of the corydoras.

Her stomach looks sunken in & has a "pinched," look to it. Fins also look red & irritated. Prior to this tank her stomach was always rather plump & wide. I physically have seen her eat at every feeding each night. Ugh I'm so frustrated, and very sad. I've had the UV sterilizer going too. Parameters are stable.

Could a parasite be causing all this mess? And all the other stuff secondary infections?

I tried to get photos but it was very hard because she was swimming.

20210619_220203.jpg
20210619_220200.jpg
20210619_220156.jpg

I have no idea....but curious what that rubber band around the ludwigia is for?

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I have no idea....but curious what that rubber band around the ludwigia is for?
I ordered 4 bundles of ludwigia from DustinsFishtanks & they arrived dead & rotten. That was the one that survived, I salvaged what I could & just dropped it in to see if I could save it. I use the rubber bands to hold them in place until rooted then cut it off. It's just temporary. I used to use those metal ties, and my water is hard so they grew build up quickly & get crusty so now I just use the mini rubber band. They re-shipped my plants so hopefully the next batch looks good.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Well just wanted to throw an update in here, it's been almost 2 months. I tried something a bit different, I removed all carbon & started only using ceramic rings, large sponge pads, and fine filter floss, I stopped adding anything like ferts and now only use water conditioner. Smaller more frequent water changes instead of larger WC. And lowered the light cycle just to try and reduce any stress.
-the huge hole in the pleco's head cleared up!
- the Cory with the round spot also cleared up
- but the other Cory is still not looking great. And the pleco has two smaller white bumps on her now, almost one on each side of her dorsal fin. So it's been slow going. (Picture below)
I'm still searching for the root cause of this.

Attachments

• 20210815_134355.jpg
    20210815_134355.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

spleenharvester

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. Did you try UV light in the end? After I lost all my guppies to that unknown disease I ran the tank with a UV filter for several weeks before adding more, and nothing has gotten sick since. I don't know whether the UV helped or whether it was just because there were no disease hosts left, but it might be worth trying.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. Did you try UV light in the end? After I lost all my guppies to that unknown disease I ran the tank with a UV filter for several weeks before adding more, and nothing has gotten sick since. I don't know whether the UV helped or whether it was just because there were no disease hosts left, but it might be worth trying.
Yes I Did! I let it run for about 6 weeks, so maybe it helped also. I've had no new deaths, and a little improvement, so I'll take that as a win. After having so many deaths at once back in May... I was worried the whole tank wouldn't make it!

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I broke out the API master kit, to double check the PH readings, and tested my tap water & tank water. And think I may have figured out a clue. I usually test early in the day, but started to notice if I test later on in the evening the PH is swinging!
It comes out of my Tap: 7.0-7.2
Morning tank PH: 7.4
Tank Normal PH test: 7.6+
High Rang PH test: 7.8-8.0

There's only Manzanita wood & a few plants, what could be causing the PH to swing so badly?
I'm wondering if this is what is stressing the fish out & why I keep seeing reinfections.
(Photo left tube=tap water 2 tubes on right are tank water)

Attachments

• 20210816_192634.jpg
    20210816_192634.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I broke out the API master kit, to double check the PH readings, and tested my tap water & tank water. And think I may have figured out a clue. I usually test early in the day, but started to notice if I test later on in the evening the PH is swinging!
It comes out of my Tap: 7.0-7.2
Morning tank PH: 7.4
Tank Normal PH test: 7.6+
High Rang PH test: 7.8-8.0

There's only Manzanita wood & a few plants, what could be causing the PH to swing so badly?
I'm wondering if this is what is stressing the fish out & why I keep seeing reinfections.
(Photo left tube=tap water 2 tubes on right are tank water)

What's your KH? Are you running CO2? If no CO2 then maybe your KH is a bit low. Its very unusual to swing like that in any situation but bumping your KH up to 4 will keep your pH stable. Technically anything above 2 degrees KH will give you a more stable pH.

If its not your KH or CO2 then I have no clue!!

Upvote 0

Kathylee

What's your KH? Are you running CO2? If no CO2 then maybe your KH is a bit low. Its very unusual to swing like that in any situation but bumping your KH up to 4 will keep your pH stable. Technically anything above 2 degrees KH will give you a more stable pH.

If its not your KH or CO2 then I have no clue!!
I do not run any CO2 at all. I'm flipping through my notebook for tests. Over the last 8 months the KH highest was 80ppm the lowest 40ppm.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I do not run any CO2 at all. I'm flipping through my notebook for tests. Over the last 8 months the KH highest was 80ppm the lowest 40ppm.

Looks like your KH fluctuates between 2.2 and 4.4 degrees give or take. Are you using test strips? If so its possible that the actual number is even lower, in which case it helps to explain your pH readings. Its borderline though so it doesn't explain everything

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Looks like your KH fluctuates between 2.2 and 4.4 degrees give or take. Are you using test strips? If so its possible that the actual number is even lower, in which case it helps to explain your pH readings. Its borderline though so it doesn't explain everything
Yes Im using API test strips, I have the master kit, but really only use it when cycling a new tank or need to double check test results. I am not sure how to raise alkalinity without raising the PH
And the PH seems like it needs to come down. I have wondershells on hand and crushed coral but I think the coral will raise ph too.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Yes Im using API test strips, I have the master kit, but really only use it when cycling a new tank or need to double check test results. I am not sure how to raise alkalinity without raising the PH
And the PH seems like it needs to come down. I have wondershells on hand and crushed coral but I think the coral will raise ph too.

I'm not sure then. What is your pH? Raising your KH by a couple degrees shouldn't change it much if at all. But if your pH is sitting at like 8 and your KH is low then something else is going on with your water

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I don't know what's going on, but For some reason a few parameters are shifting. I took some time this week to set up a 15 gallon QT tank. The pleco's "white spots" are getting worse. So I'm gonna try to do some more research and treat her. The QT's fully set up, cycled, stable params and she's been moved for observation.
Anybody know if this is a fungus attacking her? Idk if maybe I should try API fungus cure or general cure. A few months back she had a large hole in her head & this is exactly how it started... With these white bumps.

20210820_215831.jpg
?hash=9eedefd2ed266f257b7d64a54c384003.jpg

Attachments

• 20210820_215826.jpg
    20210820_215826.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

If pH is fluctuating then adding some KH will help. Try to keep the tank in the darkness as much as possible

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Just wondering what type of filtration you are using? How much water are you moving and how often you clean your filters?

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Just wondering what type of filtration you are using? How much water are you moving and how often you clean your filters?
I completely took down the 29g to clean it. I moved the fish over to the 15g. The filter was moved to the 15g with it. Its an Aqueon hob. I think its 200gph, for up to 45g tanks, but I altered the inside, I put in a bag of fluval ceramic rings, large sponge pads, and filter floss. I removed the carbon. About once a week I just rinse the sponges out in a bucket of tank water. Maybe once or twice a month I take the filter intake off & clean the gunk out and rinse the muck out of the bottom of the HOB (Always in a bucket of tank water.) And there's a nano sponge filter too. I rinse that off once a week.

So I was NOT planning to take down the 29g. But after removing the fish, I was draining the water out so I could clean it and found some really nasty stuff. The Seachem root tabs were like rotting in my sand bed, causing a sewage smell and layers of black gunk. So my 29g is now sitting on my lawn (empty). I had to separate the sand into 4 different buckets and rinse it for hours. The run off water from the tank sand buckets was BLACK.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Well that may have been your problem. How often were you adding the tabs and how many into the 29. I may add three at a time and maybe twice a year.
I also break them up into smaller pieces.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Well, now you know. Your tank was just cursed lol. You might restart it and never experience problems again, who knows. At least all of that black mold is gone

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Well that may have been your problem. How often were you adding the tabs and how many into the 29. I may add three at a time and maybe twice a year.
I also break them up into smaller pieces.
When washing the sand I found 6 root tabs altogether. 3 were a decent Size & 3 small as tiny pebbles. I added back in the beginning of the year. I'm going to scrub down the tank & slowly restart it. I purchased the fluval stratum to put at the bottom instead. The 15g parameters are fine! No PH swings it has a PH steady if 7.4 & that's where all the fish are.
Well, now you know. Your tank was just cursed lol. You might restart it and never experience problems again, who knows. At least all of that black mold is gone
Maybe! It's just been problem after problem with the darn thing. I'm concerned with my pleco though, the white spots are getting worse, it's like they are spreading.

Upvote 0

Ghost777

??maybe

Hemorrhagic…​

Upvote 0

Kathylee

??maybe

Hemorrhagic…​

Septicemia?
I'm not sure, but she's still not looking very well. I used Aquarium Co-op's QT trio, which is Maracyn, ICH-X, and it did absolutely nothing. They told me if it was NOT working the to use salt, which I started to do & then she started getting red spots on top of the white stuff, so I stopped & did a water change.

So now I am on Day 4 of Kanaplex medicated food treatment.
This was her 4 days ago:

20210904_131621.jpg
This is her today; just now:

20210908_154656.jpg

20210908_154718.jpg
It's all over her back, but it's flat & white. It's not fuzzy like photos of fungal infections.

Attachments

• 20210908_154701.jpg
    20210908_154701.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Rockfella

I have a feeling they will live as now they are in a diff tank not the 29G. Avoid using root tabs in the future. Consider making a slow moving plenum under 3/4" thick gravel. You should not need any tabs.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

I have a feeling they will live as now they are in a diff tank not the 29G. Avoid using root tabs in the future. Consider making a slow moving plenum under 3/4" thick gravel. You should not need any tabs.
I'm sorry, I am not Sure what a Plenum is? I Searched it and it sort of looked like an under gravel filter?

I swear the 29g had a curse on it. I updated parts on it, and went to restart it last night.. And there is a crack in the bottom. I'm going to buy a new one, restart it & it will be a plants only tank for at least 3 months. I also purchased fluval stratum to use instead.

I'm still unsure if the fish will make it. 4 Ottocinculus look good. 1 Cory is healed. But 1 older Cory & the pleco are still real beat up.

Upvote 0

Rockfella

I'm sorry, I am not Sure what a Plenum is? I Searched it and it sort of looked like an under gravel filter?

I swear the 29g had a curse on it. I updated parts on it, and went to restart it last night.. And there is a crack in the bottom. I'm going to buy a new one, restart it & it will be a plants only tank for at least 3 months. I also purchased fluval stratum to use instead.

I'm still unsure if the fish will make it. 4 Ottocinculus look good. 1 Cory is healed. But 1 older Cory & the pleco are still real beat up.
Under gravel filter or plates are used to create a plenum (void between the bottom and gravel) and water moves through it very slowly creating anoxic conditions that tries to replicate what happens in river beds. Look up Anoxic filtration by Dr. Kevin Novak. I am no expert but that black root thing is something he talks about frequently and recommends not to use any ferts/tabs.
Another thing is you can't rely on plants forever.

Upvote 0

Ghost777

Hmmm sorry idk, I did have a similar problem 2 months ago. I kinda think it’s root tab after following your thread here…that’s the only thing I added was 5 baby male guppies and I finally gave in and used root tabs but I was always against it bc my corys dig. I put very thick 6-8 inch substrate but over 4 months time it’s more flatten from vacuum and harvest. I suspect maybe some root tabs(flourish) and came up a lil shallow and my Cory are diggers. I did do a harvest that was not as smooth as normal. My nymphaea was not contained, so it’s root spread quite a bit before I got to it so it was quite mature. I may have disturb my substrate

Yours look like an albino of some sort..I’m not sure but those may be extra sensitive?? I had 1 and I wouldn’t dream of salting her tank bc I was advised to never salt her.
Sorry, I’ve never seen that on any of my plecos. Besides my 2 Cory with buldging eyes got 24 hours then passed away; the plecos are well.

I was pulling my hair out cram studying everything like you…I narrowed it down to my best guess it’s bacterial somehow…there’s hemorrhage underlining tissue like the pics you show us…but other than that no other injury I can see.
I also suspect columnaris but now I don’t think it is.

I treated the rest of the tank with kanaplex and added aquarium salt to their water and slowly water change(~.5 teaspoon per).The reason I was reluctant to use salt on this tank was bc of plecos but at low dose they didn’t seem bothered. That’s how it went away as it just settled out. I’m still eyeing another disease but I’m not sure if it’s it either. Had my corys for 3 yrs.

I took out 5 guppies that was stressful for me to look at and it felt like they approved. They’re just so busy bodies and not as peaceful like usual. Not sure if they got anything from the guppies but they were my own I bred and my fish room is clear of disease..well until this 2 months ago. I’m still trying to figure out what the hemorrhage. My best guess is they dig it up and possibly ate it, the root tab, had a reaction that appears to be hemorage or broken blood vessels in the underlining tissue ‍♀️.I should have never listen to others and use root tabs. JMO (Just my opinion.)

My UV has been out of service bc it’s broken and I need to replace. So I these are the only things Idone different:

no UV light
add root tabs
add 5 baby male guppies(my own bred)

I hope you can figure it out too.
Septicemia?
I'm not sure, but she's still not looking very well. I used Aquarium Co-op's QT trio, which is Maracyn, ICH-X, and it did absolutely nothing. They told me if it was NOT working the to use salt, which I started to do & then she started getting red spots on top of the white stuff, so I stopped & did a water change.

So now I am on Day 4 of Kanaplex medicated food treatment.
This was her 4 days ago:

20210904_131621.jpg
This is her today; just now:

20210908_154656.jpg

20210908_154718.jpg
It's all over her back, but it's flat & white. It's not fuzzy like photos of fungal infections.
I don’t know about using salt on this albino pleco? I had an albino long fin a while back and I was always told not to ever use salt on her by my mentors so Idk ..maybe you can look into it.
As far as kanaplex…I was pretty sure that direction was only 3 max doses so I’m not sure what you mean by “day four”?? Maybe yu do everyday 2 day treatment so it would make sense your treatment regimen last longer.

Upvote 0

Kathylee

Hmmm sorry idk, I did have a similar problem 2 months ago. I kinda think it’s root tab after following your thread here…that’s the only thing I added was 5 baby male guppies and I finally gave in and used root tabs but I was always against it bc my corys dig. I put very thick 6-8 inch substrate but over 4 months time it’s more flatten from vacuum and harvest. I suspect maybe some root tabs(flourish) and came up a lil shallow and my Cory are diggers. I did do a harvest that was not as smooth as normal. My nymphaea was not contained, so it’s root spread quite a bit before I got to it so it was quite mature. I may have disturb my substrate

Yours look like an albino of some sort..I’m not sure but those may be extra sensitive?? I had 1 and I wouldn’t dream of salting her tank bc I was advised to never salt her.
Sorry, I’ve never seen that on any of my plecos. Besides my 2 Cory with buldging eyes got 24 hours then passed away; the plecos are well.

I was pulling my hair out cram studying everything like you…I narrowed it down to my best guess it’s bacterial somehow…there’s hemorrhage underlining tissue like the pics you show us…but other than that no other injury I can see.
I also suspect columnaris but now I don’t think it is.

I treated the rest of the tank with kanaplex and added aquarium salt to their water and slowly water change(~.5 teaspoon per).The reason I was reluctant to use salt on this tank was bc of plecos but at low dose they didn’t seem bothered. That’s how it went away as it just settled out. I’m still eyeing another disease but I’m not sure if it’s it either. Had my corys for 3 yrs.

I took out 5 guppies that was stressful for me to look at and it felt like they approved. They’re just so busy bodies and not as peaceful like usual. Not sure if they got anything from the guppies but they were my own I bred and my fish room is clear of disease..well until this 2 months ago. I’m still trying to figure out what the hemorrhage. My best guess is they dig it up and possibly ate it, the root tab, had a reaction that appears to be hemorage or broken blood vessels in the underlining tissue ‍♀️.I should have never listen to others and use root tabs. JMO (Just my opinion.)

My UV has been out of service bc it’s broken and I need to replace. So I these are the only things Idone different:

no UV light
add root tabs
add 5 baby male guppies(my own bred)

I hope you can figure it out too.

I don’t know about using salt on this albino pleco? I had an albino long fin a while back and I was always told not to ever use salt on her by my mentors so Idk ..maybe you can look into it.
As far as kanaplex…I was pretty sure that direction was only 3 max doses so I’m not sure what you mean by “day four”?? Maybe yu do everyday 2 day treatment so it would make sense your treatment regimen last longer.
The kanaplex treatment is every other day, for 3 doses, Then a water change and if your still having no improvement then it says to repeat the treatment one more time.
The pleco is a female super red Bristlenose, but she's stressed & pale right now, the 2 corydoras are trilineatus (or false Julii).

I'm thinking the root tab issue may have caused organic pollution. I purchased a small library of fish illness books and I read a whole section about diseases caused by organic pollution.

I've used salt a few other times, with all three of these types of fish & they tolerated the aquarium salt for duration of treatment, I've never added salt for long periods.

You said maybe columnaris? Didn't people used to call it saddleback? There was two types I think, that could be it too. I don't know if I will ever identify it. But for now they are in a 15g Quarantine.

Thanks for sharing your experience as well, sounds a bit similar. Someone on the C.A.R.E. forum, told me to try a few other meds, but after using the Kanaplex I want to give the tank, inhabitants & my BB a break for a little while.
Under gravel filter or plates are used to create a plenum (void between the bottom and gravel) and water moves through it very slowly creating anoxic conditions that tries to replicate what happens in river beds. Look up Anoxic filtration by Dr. Kevin Novak. I am no expert but that black root thing is something he talks about frequently and recommends not to use any ferts/tabs.
Another thing is you can't rely on plants forever.
Thank you! I will look more into that! I just watched one video, where they explained how a river is constantly moving & the minerals/GH/electrolytes are constantly being renewed and in a tank it is not.

Upvote 0

Rockfella

Thank you! I will look more into that! I just watched one video, where they explained how a river is constantly moving & the minerals/GH/electrolytes are constantly being renewed and in a tank it is not.
A plenum set in a particular simple way does the same. Dig it all!

Upvote 0

Ghost777

Gotcha

I said I was suspicious of columnaris but I don’t think it was a after a while. Going mad too thinking it’s that. Down so much thinking I was gonna lose the lots of them.

hmmm do you use crush coral of some sort of gh in bottom of tank and water movement ok? I think there’s also bomb shell gh on the market..array of crush corals..etc
Yes, your situation sounds so familiar. I’m still hoping mines gone.
a couple months ago I found this when I was scramming…not sure what to make of it. Not sure if it’s even true. I couldn’t find much lead on it for further reading.
Maybe you know?
15 Common Betta Fish Diseases (With Pictures): Prevention and Treatment

1DC2F8BD-838D-474B-8B9C-44099D156323.png
Somehow I ended up reading up on ..I can’t recall exact..but it was Basicly fish std is what I gathered ..it just got so stressful to cram more study. So that’s when I looked at my guppies and took them out.

hope someone figures it out. I’m sorry if this was not a good lead or dead end. Hopefully someone knows.

Attachments

• 6C9E76A7-A6B3-4C3E-8B37-06219E6206DA.png
    6C9E76A7-A6B3-4C3E-8B37-06219E6206DA.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
Effieee