Something is Plaguing my Tank Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by uprightandlocked, Apr 3, 2010.

1. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Okay...this is happening in my 10g RCS tank but you guys are my peeps so I'm asking you for your help!

This morning I was checking in on my RCS tank and noticed hundreds of little white things (like...almost microscopic?) floating/swimming around my tank and climbing up the sides. They are just little white circles (like the size of a pinhead) but they move around. I have NO idea what they are. I don't think they're little shrimp because they come out looking like real shrimp!

What is in my tank? Is it dangerous? How did it get there? How does it go away?

Water was tested ... everything is normal. I do weekly water changes on all of my tanks. HELP!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Those are most likely a type of planaria. Pure protein and your fish should love them. They usually show up when we've been overfeeding a little and the substrate needs a deep cleaning to get excess food and waste out :) We've all had them at one time or the other. They are completely harmless but a sign to watch our feeding and tank maintenance. Hope that helps :)
    Carol

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I have to agree with Butterfly. They are all basically harmless. And from what I hear some pretty tasty snacks for bettas. Some people grow them to feed to their bettas.

4. OP
    OP
    u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Okay...well these guys are in my shrimp tank. I clean the substrate in that tank with a turkey baster to suck up excess food. I'm scared to use the gravel vac in that tank because of the little shrimps I have. I guess I'll just have to risk it.

5. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

I had something like that too, I'm still not sure what it was but people told me it sounded like water fleas.

I also got hydra pretty soon after that, and now both seem to be disappearing. I can't spot any of the little white things anymore and there's less hydra visible. I've just been keeping up with my water changes and things seem to be taking their natural course.

6. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

Yes Betta's do love them. When I see them in my RCS tank I put a Betta in the tank and usually in a few days the bugs are gone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice