something is causing my fish to be ill

guppygrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went out and got a 5 gallon tank and set it up with air stone... heater... added some plants.. added the meds too. The medication I was recommended to get was E.M. Erythromycin. Most pet stores around here use the other and she had good results with this.

The two guppies seem ok after adding them. I used the same aquarium water so things would be the same. Their dorsal fins aren't clamped consistently.... and since they haven't developed the large white flakey stuff I'm hoping they have a fighting chance.

Do I need a filter if they are in there for five days?

I've never had a emergency hospital tank before and not sure if I'm missing something.

Thanks again for all your support.

carolo43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry to barge my way in again.... what does gram negative mean?
There are gram negative and gram positive bacterial infections. Gram negative is the one most tropical fish contact. Persistent fin rot is an example. Columnaris is another. If you try to treat a gram negative infection with a gram positive medication, you will get little or no results.

guppygrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks.. I'll see how they are in the morning. They seem less stressed out being away from the other fish. I put lots of floating plants in as the female may be in labor. Poor fish. She has a huge gravid spot and looks to be squaring off.

They are at least swimming around and not hiding.

I hope this fish keeping gets easier as it's been a struggle to keep guppies.

I have a male and female Dalmatian Molly and male and female swordtail... its been around a month and no signs of babies.

guppygrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Once things are back to normal I may look at getting some more female swordtails. I just love guppies tho and how pretty they are. Such varied colours and fin shapes. Too bad they are so fragile and hard to keep.

guppygrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update.. both died last night. What a shame... they were packed full of fry.

fishynoob

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's such a shame. Fortunately or unfortunately one of mine died days after giving birth but only one of her fry survived but its pure white at the moment and about 1cm long

guppygrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks. Sniff sniff... I should change my name to guppy-widow. wish I could have got some fry before they all died.

That's great you could save some fry tho! I had a batch of fry last month but the moms died shortly after as well.

Ziabis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My female black phantom had a similar type white spot on her and she was able to survive another 8 months. I still have no idea what it was. But no other fish got it...
I hope everything get better..

Hello to fellow Ontarion...

Im sorry they past... I know it's hard... I am quite attached to my last phantom. His name is Shadow and hes huge, Ive had him for almost 2 years... He has a bunch of new phantoms, but hes still kind of a loner now...Hes about 3 times bigger then the others.

guppygrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Ziabis. :) just wish I knew what it was but it's possible even if I knew what disease they had it may have been too late to save them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom