something is causing my fish to be ill

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by guppygrl, Dec 2, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

my water tested fine... no ammonia, no nitrites and .10 nitrates. i do have some live plants but noticed a couple fish not doing well.

i don't see the ich dots although one fish has one white dot on her lip.

i just did a good water change this afternoon and not sure if i should get medication.

they have their dorsal fin down most of the time. do i use stresszyme and meds ? what can i do to prevent them dying?

thanks.

pic i just took

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  2. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Hiya I have a few questions that may make it easier to diagnose.
    Are they displaying any other symptoms?
    What genders are these I can't make it out?
    What does the white dot look like is it fluffy a swollen lump or a discolouration?

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

they are both pregnant female guppies. dorsal fin down and they are hiding in plants... two of them.. the other is hanging out near the top of the tank. no fluffy stuff... just not swimming around unless the male is harassing them.

4. fishynoob

Some fish do get stressed when near to giving birth also when they are bloated have they been overfed recently? My fish like to hide and go behind my filter to give birth which is super annoying!

5. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

i left them for a few hours and now they are all looking bad. one guppy seems to have a patch of white on her side??

i added stresscoat and some parasite medication. turned the temp up from 78 to 80.

hoping they don't die. :(

here is the white patch.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  6. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Sorry to here that
    Changing the water is great personally I don’t use meds so no advice for you on that. I just do more frequent water changes. Cured some fin rot and once one barb had Popeye but all is good now. Hope all goes well

7. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

thanks... i did a ten percent change this morning and ended up doing a fifty percent this afternoon when i noticed the females having problems. could be a parasite of some kind.

the water changes didn't seem to help.

8. h

Wow
    Clean water will help hopefully she will be OK

9. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

hoping the three girls will be ok too. they are such pretty guppies and very large.. 2 inches. hoping they at least have their fry to help eliminate their stress.

10. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

so far they haven't died. going to go check my levels and make sure they are good.

bought a plant when i went to the lfs... can't have too many plants.

do parasites cause that white marks on my guppy or could it be caused by her flashing on something?

11. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

water was still good.. no ammonia.. no nitrites and .10 or .20 nitrates... hard to tell on the api color chart.

i noticed a couple of them flashing on the plastic air line.

lights out now so hope they recover over night. hate finding a dead fish in the morning.

12. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

A once a day water change is a good idea, I have never used meds but from what I hear from members on here, the best thing you can do is give your fish clean stress free water for them to recover in, best of luck and I'm sure the fish geniuses on here will have more advice for you

13. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

doesn't the water changes cause a bit of stress? how much would be a good amount to change every day?

this is stressing me out. hard to see a fish struggling... just want to do what's best.

thank you for replying and the advice about water changes. :)

14. h

Do another water change tomorrow try another 50%

15. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

ok I'll do that tomorrow night. is stresscoat ok to add in the morning to help them before i can do the water change?

16. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Didn't you just add stresscoat? If so make sure you don't overdose them. Is the white patch fluffy? I can't quite make it out. If it is it might be a fungus.

17. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

If you make sure to match the temperature, 50% daily should not be a stress issue. Just add the new water gently so you don't create a major current.

18. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

the white patch isn't fluffy. looks like dry flakey skin... it spread around the top. they survived the night. still not looking good. maybe a fungal infection?

I'll do a water change tonight.

19. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Sorry your fish aren't feeling well. That looks kind of like skin/flesh rot. Very similar to fin rot. I suggest you lower your temperature and continue with daily waterchanges. A 50% a day would be good. Personally, I don't use Stress Coat when a fish is sick with a fungus or something. I use it when they are injured or have ripped fins. But when adding it you should add enough for your total tank volume. Then when you do a waterchange you should only add enough to cover the amount of gallons/liters you changed.

20. fishynoob

it could be saddleback columnaris? Have you seen any flashing or rapid gill movement? Do you have carbon in your filter? Does it seem to be getting worse after raising the temp?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice