Something I forgot to ask ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
About a month ago my betta Raspy had what looked like a sack hanging on a cord from the middle of the bottom of his body. I didn't seem to bother him and eventually fell off but I was very concerned. He hadn't shown any other signs of being hurt or anything, never stopped eating and was as active as ever. He had it a couple other times but not nearly as large. (When I say "large" it was probably 1/4 the size of a small pea.)

I did read on bettatalk.com I think about swimbladder disease and wasn't sure if that was it but they did say that it could be caused by too much brine shrimp. I had been feeding him flake food with dried brine shrimp bits in it at the time because he wouldn't eat pellets like Lilex did. (fussy fish!!)

I stopped feeding him that food, he started eating the pellets and I haven't seen the problem since. Any suggestions?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like he gulped down too big a piece of food and passed it whole. They are really liittle pigs in disguise and don't chew their food well a lot of the time. i think this has a lot to do with them being constipated a lot. Watch the pellets and only give 3-4 at meal time and wait between each one so he has to chew them up a little so he doesn't get to the point that he is swallowing them whole or he will plug himself up with those.

Rose

OP
D

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks so miuch. Like I said, he wasn't acting any differently so I didn't think it was serious. I didn't really think about making sure he chewed .... they really ARE just like children, aren't they!?! :-D I wouldn't trade them for the world. I am home all day by myself and they sure make it less lonely.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know the feeling well. I am with mine nearly 24/7 and they get so naughty at times, but it only makes me love them more. BUT sometimes you just have to limit them for their own good. It is hard to do but you realize you will have a sick little Betta if you don't. It is hard to resist those pleading little eyes though and they always act like they will just die if they don't get at least 5 or 10 more pellets, but they don't realize what a tummy ache they will have later.

Like I said before, Patience is the BIG word when it comes to raising Bettas, and raising them is exactly what we are doing.

Isn't it fun!

Rose

OP
D

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't fall for those pleading eyes when it comes to food! :) Raspy is much worse than Lilex. He will pace back and forth when he knows it is almost time to eat and chomps the pellets like they are living creatures. He often stares at me after I'm done feeding him as if he's saying "that's it?????? 4 MEASLEY PELLETS!?!" My boyfriend thinks it is hysterical when I talk to them but I really feel like they know what I'm saying. Usually when I tell Raspy that he can't have anymore food he starts flapping his jaws at me. I tell him no back talk and he goes to sulk in his plant. ;D :

Lilex is a lot more "quiet" but he does like to show off. If I bring the camera near him he starts swimming around and flaring up headed straight for the camera. If only he would stay still so I could get a good pic!!

When I go out of town I even have a friend that watches them for me because I don't think they would be happy with no human interaction since I am always here to look at. When both of them stare at me I feel like *I* am the fish in the bowl! :) They both sit on my desk with me (and in fact are staring at me right now -- I think they know I'm writing about them!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom