Something Has Gone Wrong...

1. July

July Valued Member Member

I have a planted 36 Gallon tank with the current stocking:
    5 Sterbai Cories
    1 Male betta
    2 Platies
    10 Rummynose Tetra

Last night I had the death of two of my cories. The first one I just found, upside-down on a leaf, dead. NOTHING looked wrong, he didn't look bloated, pale, nothing. If anything his colors were darker, but I don't exactly remember now. I was disappointed, but I didn't think too much about it. I did a 35-40% water change just in case.

Fast forward a few hours (It's around 9 pm), one of my cories darts around the tank, by the surface most of the time, and then goes to the bottom of the tank belly-up. I take it out at this point. For a few minutes it seemed okay, but then it becomes unresponsive with small bursts of activity, often floating belly-up. He seemed in really bad shape, and with the death of the other one, I euthanized him with clove oil.

I didn't think to test my water last night, but after I did another water change today I thought to test it.
    0-.25 Ammonia
    0 Nitrite
    0 Nitrate

I don't know what happened, my tank has been set up for a while (and cycled) just fine. 2 weeks ago or maybe less, I got 2 cories, 2 platies, and the rummynose tetras. I know one of the new cories was one that I euthanized (he had messed up stripes, so I recognized him), but I'm not sure about the other.

What should I do? None of the other cories seem to be behaving oddly, everyone else seems fine. I don't want to lose anymore fish.

2. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

With zero nitrate it appears that you somehow lost your cycle.

Have you done any cleaning lately?
    Are you sure you treated the new water? (I doubt that alone would totally kill the cycle, but it possibly could in combination with putting in a brand new filter or something along those lines.)

3. OP
    OP
    July

Yeah, I thought so. What should I do to go back on track? Unfortunately I'm going to be off to a summer camp with zero phones or anything allowed during August 12-18th, so I'm nervous about leaving my tank behind. I can do daily (multiple daily if needed) water changes until then, however.

edit: No, I haven't done any special cleaning in the tank lately. Adding the new fish is the only thing that's changed. And yeah, I'm sure that I treated the water. I'm super paranoid about that sorta stuff so I remember adding Prime.

4. OP
    OP
    July

Should I do I really large water change right now? I'm talking 60-80 percent. I was told to do so by people somewhere else, but I want to double check.

Also: I think there is small amounts of nitrate in my water right now, somewhere between 0-5 ppm. I however need to check again.