Something hanging out of the side of fish abdomen

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by PIEROCKS, Aug 5, 2014.

1. PIEROCKSNew MemberMember

Hi there,

I came home to find something hanging out of the side of my female guppy (see picture attached) and she had white stringy poop before I took the picture. She's active and swimming like she always does. I did a little research but couldn't really find an exact match. Any idea what this might be and what I can do?

Much appreciated.

guppy.jpg

About the aquarium:

- 8 gallons
    - 2 guppies (1 male and 1 female) and 2 ghost shrimps
    - Not planted
    - Filter and air pump
    - Kept at 26 celsius (79 fahrenheit)

The tank is new (3 weeks) and still cycling, but I monitor the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels using API test kit everyday after work.

- Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    - Nitrite: 0 ppm
    - Nitrate: 10 ppm

I do a 25% water change daily. Feeding happens twice a day and excess food is promptly removed.

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyningValued MemberMember

I can't really tell from the picture, but white stringy poop is usually a sign of parasites. Does the abnormal thing look like something that is latched onto her scales? Or is it hanging out of her vent?

3. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFishValued MemberMember

It might be from the ammonia it had a few fish like that when my ammonia was 0.25

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Your not supposed to put fish in while cycling your tank

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  4. ivarnarikValued MemberMember

I see white stringy poop on some of my platies but that only happens if I don't feed them for a day or two. They go back to pooping their weight in food when I feed them a bit more.
    as long as they are acting normal, I don't think it's an issue.

5. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Not true... Many people cycle with fish in the tank. I doubt this issue is from the low grade ammonia, since ammonia poisoning has a completely different presentation and is not likely to occur so quickly at such a low ammonia reading (which is necessary during a tank cycle).

I can't tell from the pictures either, but there are a few possibilities: Camallanus worms, for which you would need a strong anti-parasitic, primarily levamisole, fed to the fish in medicated flakes. Prolapse, which would present as the fish's intestines showing through their ventral oriface and probably would not produce white stringy feces unless there was an infection. And the last is an external parasite, like a leech or similar.

If you can get better pictures, we could probably assist with identification.

6. lala29

lala29Well Known MemberMember

Has she possibly got something stuck on her side? If not parasites seems like the likely culprit im afraid

7. OP
    OP
    P

PIEROCKSNew MemberMember

It definitely looks like it was protruding out of the body, as opposed to sticking to the surface. I will try to take better pictures tonight (she wouldn't cooperate last night lol).

8. petaddiction

petaddictionWell Known MemberMember

Maybe if you took a video instead it would be easier for us to see if she isn't cooperating?

9. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

guppy.jpg

PIEROCKS, have I highlighted the area in question. Is this what you're talking about ?

10. OP
    OP
    P

PIEROCKSNew MemberMember

Yes, that's exactly it. Thanks for clarifying.

I looked up anchor worms. The thing hanging appears to have a "Y" at the end of it (can't see it in the above picture; again I will take better pics/video), though there isn't any red around the spot where the protrusion is.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  11. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Both of these statements are true, unfortunately.

Looks and sounds like Anchor Worm.

12. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

Tetra Parasite Guard should kill Anchor Worms, and will more than likely be easier for you to obtain than other medications. The active ingredients for Parasite Guard are PraziQuantel, Metronidazole and two other medications that I cannot recall off the top of my head.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. lala29

as stated before, many people have a high success level when using fish to cycle a tank... I know i certainly did.

Although it can contribute to illnesses such as the one in discussion, its a very good method x

14. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

Agreed. /high five

15. FiscCyning

FiscCyningValued MemberMember

16. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't call a method that "can contribute to illnesses" a "very good method", but there you go.

17. lala29

all im saying it that its a method that works and it does the job well. Certain fish are more up to the task but with the right care it can be done. Hence using the word "can" instead of "will"

Now back to the subject please! :)

18. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Sigh... There are any number of ways to safely cycle a tank with fish in it. Given that this is a guppy who was likely bred and raised in an overcrowded tank or pond, cycling the tank with her in it is almost certainly not the cause of her ailment. Fish come home sick sometimes. It happens and it often has nothing to do with us or anything we do.

So, OP, if that's an anchor worm, get yourself some General Cure or Lifeguard. Or any of the other meds listed above, or an off-brand med containing the same ingredients. I personally have had good success with both Lifeguard and General Cure and therefore tend to recommend them :)

19. Bob Ellis

Bob EllisValued MemberMember

Keeping animals in captivity at all can contribute to illness. So there you go.

My fish had a 100% survival rate cycling with TSS, they even spawned during the process.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  20. Mortisha

MortishaValued MemberMember

I prefer Seachem Para Gaurd, you can get that from Amazon. Keep a close eye on your water perimeters no matter what you chose to use b/c it can affect your BB.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice