Something growing on my fake plants

coolio3991

So in my 20 long I have 3 fake plants and there is some grey stuff growing it's really short and sparse I do have shrimp I'm the tank and black molles which seam to eat some of it. But should a take the plants out and use peroxide and scrub it off. I dont mind how it looks and if the shrimp eat it then I dont mind leaving it. But I could be wrong about them eating it. Idk lol. My chocolate shrimp seams to spend most of his time on the fake plants eating. Non of my other shrimp seam to though.i will post pictures in the morning.

philly27

its probably just diatoms/brown algae. take the fake plants out and wash them and scrub them under hot water. you can use a toothbrush or just use some elbow grease. if that doesnt clear it up make a bleach solution in some water and drop them in for 10 minutes. its caused by high nitrates or high phosphates in the water.

Upvote 0

coolio3991

its probably just diatoms/brown algae. take the fake plants out and wash them and scrub them under hot water. you can use a toothbrush or just use some elbow grease. if that doesnt clear it up make a bleach solution in some water and drop them in for 10 minutes. its caused by high nitrates or high phosphates in the water.
Okay cool thank you. That's what I was thinking it was. I was hoping it was algea but..... well looks like I'm breaking out the tooth brush and peroxide again. I know my 10 g has diatoms in it aka broen algea it's been a recurring theme in that 10g for over 3 months. I've learned to live with it on a few plants that I cant scrub. But I think I will buy some bleach soon to get rid of them. What's a good bleach to use. Does it have to be a specific kind or just grab the cheap ceant free stuff

Upvote 0

philly27

Okay cool thank you. That's what I was thinking it was. I was hoping it was algea but..... well looks like I'm breaking out the tooth brush and peroxide again. I know my 10 g has diatoms in it aka broen algea it's been a recurring theme in that 10g for over 3 months. I've learned to live with it on a few plants that I cant scrub. But I think I will buy some bleach soon to get rid of them. What's a good bleach to use. Does it have to be a specific kind or just grab the cheap ceant free stuff
just the detergent free bleach, Clorox works well. btw, hows the lighting in your tank? does it get consistent lighting? poor lighting can lead to brown algae

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

I have the same stuff in my tank. We all love it. :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dwc13
  • Question
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle