Something else you all have to read

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Warning: this is completely and utterly depressing. The farther into the article you get, the worse it gets. But everyone needs to know this...and never eat fish again!!

be sure to click on the "click here to continue" button on the bottom of each page; the article goes on for quite a few pages.

> :'( > :'( > :'(

You know, I used to think people who don't eat meat are kinda wierd...I mean, the animal's already dead, and would be eaten anyway. But after reading this, I see it is just as much an animal rights thing...an I am done eating fish!!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I could hardly handle reading some of it but it is true. I have a cousin who runs a "fish farm" (I KNOW - I feel so ashamed) but he is an idiot, what can I say. The fish conditions are probably better than most because he keeps them in HUGE cement "ponds" out in the country. They are still way too crowded but at least the water (clean) keeps circulating through the tanks all the time. It still makes me ill to think of the life the poor fish have and what they have to look forward to. I have had my last fish dinner.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's too bad about your cousin...and I to could hardly handle reading some of that...imagine, people would be charged with a felony if they did what they do to fish to other animals but there are no laws protecting the fish. > :'(

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh PETA......Too bad they don't show you what hatcheries look like......I've been to several DEP run hatcheries and they are nothing like this.....Yes, the conditions are a little crowded, but they are clean and the fish are released into open waters for catch....But they won't tell you about them........

And there are laws protecting fish....the problem is that the individual states do not have the funds to hire enough DEP Game officers to enforce the laws as they are too busy catching poachers, commercial fisherman selling undersized catch, overfishing protected waters and species and the like.......which is worse for the environment....There are also laws about chemical dumping....The DEP is not going to sit by and knowingly watch these farmer dump pesticides into the waters knowing full well what their impact on the rest of ecosystem will be......

Notice, they give Norweigian government data, but no footnoted source....typical....

If you witnessed half of what goes on in the food industry you'd never eat again.....Especially if you've never been to a slaughterhouse.......chicken processing plant........canning facility..........I could go on and on.......

I need to see their source of information....I generally take PETA with a grain of salt as I often find what they print as conjecture, speculation, gross exaggeration and good old fashioned ****.....

They are on this new kick to abolish sport fishing.... A multiBILLION dollar industry that preaches conservation.....Yeah, nice try guys.....Who do they think helps enact many of the conservation laws and ideas??? The sport fisherman......

Sorry - Stuff like this hits a sore spot with me.....

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whatever. But I think stopping fishing for sport would be good. Just think of what the fish go through when they are skewered through the cheek and yanked above water. :'(

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel it was more propaganda than truth. I fish ALOT (catch and release ) and I know for a fact that nobody here catches any native species, or at least, they don't keep them. Most of the natives are much smaller than the stocked fish and are under the minimum size. There is also very little environmental damage - most of the fish are caught shortly after stocking and are replaced every few weeks, but everything is still going on and living normally.

And yes - I totally agree with you Vin.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure what you're talking about Marc. I was just saying that catching fish seems rather inhumane. And anyway I'm sure a site wouldn't outright LIE about something. Maybe some things they said weren't what you guys have seen, but are happening in other places.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was responding to the article's view on recreational fishing.

You would be surprised how badly someone will blow something out of proportions if they want to get their point across.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No, it's not "whatever".....Much of the reason why many people don't take PETA seriously is because they over exaggerate, publish false or half truths and are way too radical......No offense Omorrkh, but I can tell you don't know too much about sport fishing....I get the impression that you tend to believe everything you read as well.......

Fact of the matter is, that recreational fishing is BETTER than commercial fishing for a multitude of reasons....There are limitations on size, species and quantities, areas to fish, not fish, etc.....It's sport fishermen who lead the way when it comes to conservation. You might want to look into it...Organizations like B.A.S.S. have led the way with conservation efforts for years...............The DEP has put laws in place to prevent overfishing and allowing species to repopulate after years and years of overfishing.....Laws that didn't exist until recently.....In fact, the DEP in CT & NY has recently trimmed the number of days commercial fisherman can fish down to 68 per year....At one point - as recent as 10 years ago, the number of permitted fishing days was over 150......PETA doesn't tell you about this because it doesn't help their cause....

Fish that are caught and released properly live another day....Undersized or illegal fish caught in the commericial fisherman's nets.....? Well, unless they toss them back quickly - which is not too often.....well, they die.

People have been catching fish since prehistoric times.....It's not going to change because PETA doesn't like it......And if they picket me or my son at the lake or anywhere else I am fishing, I can only hope they know how to swim because if they get in my face they're getting wet.....

Boy, I am VERY argumentative lately! It must be an age thing........

Marc, You're right...native brook trout are very small in comparison to their hatchery cousins, but people do catch them. They are difficult to find though......The effectiveness of trout management parks has proven to be a very good thing in CT.....When managed correctly, fish holdover and are allowed to grow and establish their own colonies within these bodies of water....Now, they have to work harder on the Bass limits......

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I didn't even finish reading this article; I can't and I don't want to :'( There is cruelty everywhere you look in this world. It's unbelievable. Humans are the most destructive species on Earth - most humans have no regard and no respect for nature and animals whatsoever. It sickens me beyond description. I can't read anymore on animal suffering and environmental pollution. If there is some massive extinction of human species - and although I'd never want anything like this to happen (!!!) - most of humans will unfortunately deserve this. We cannot go on destroying nature and torturing animals forever. It has got to stop somewhere. The most likely scenario will be that humans will destroy themselves - if not with nuclear weapons then by destroying our environment. For if we destroy our only home - plane Earth - where will we live? Like I said ... it all sickens and saddens me beyond what words can express.

P.S. And I thought there were chemicals in meat only ... now I find out they're also in fish! Is there anything left at all that is actually safe to eat in this world?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow - you guys are crackin me up!  Just my 2 cents:

The people I know and fish with are some of the most ardent conservationists out there.  

What if PETA decided to go after aquarium keepers?  There are many folks that don't know anything about running an aquarium and harm innocent fish out of ignorance.  Should PETA go after all aquarium keepers because of the few bad ones?

I think PETA goes way over the line at times and I know it turns many folks away from them.  They are getting way to radical for me.  I think that anything they put out should be taken at less than face value, including that article.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, that's fine if you have different opinions. I don't know anything about that PETA. I just thought people might want to read the article...I didn't mean to start a big debate. If that organization tends to exaggerate then that's good to know.

And Vin, there is no need to insult me just because you have a different opinion. Actually I do know something about sport fishing; my dad fishes and I used to also. And I DON"T just believe anything I read. If I did I would be keeping Bettas in bowls and cycling tanks with fish, etc. I don't know where you got that from. If you want to state a different opinion then go ahead but I absolutely draw the line at insults! What have I ever said to you? You are very argumentative lately...too much so in my opinion. This really is no big deal. I just posted an article I found. Cut me some slack!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yeah...I'm not sure why we're arguing about fishing...the article was mainly about the fish farms.  That's why I posted it, not to try to get people to stop fishing or something...
I still don't like fishing but I also agree with what Mike said. What I'm more worried about is those fish farms.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Insulted? I'm sorry if you felt insulted, that was merely a personal observation...... But by the replies you had given on this subject and others, I could only draw that conclusion..........And fishing was mentioned in the article which was how that topic was continued.

Regards,

Vin.

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with me because I enjoy reading vin and 0morrokh going at it?  You guys need your own tv show.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok sorry I overreacted a little Vin. I know you didn't mean to insult me or anything. But I don't think it is necesary to 'draw conclusions' about me. Let's just stick with the subject. It's not like making observations about me will prove anything on your part.

Oh yes, there was something about fishing in that article...
But I never said I agreed with what the article said. I don't like the thought of a fish being hooked and pulled out of the water. But I have mixed feelings about fishing...I realize there are some benefits about it too. That fishing section was a little one-sided as well as a bit far-fetched...

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
We're like brother and sister! I certainly don't take it personally...And I should hope that you don't.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
;D
I imagine the other members of this forum find us quite amusing.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whatever, but my rabbit is extremely ferocious and likes to bite people. ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom