Something eating my plants?

Patt.the Betta

So I recently re-did an old 20-gallon Hex tank. I bought all live plants for it, some Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, and a little plant package including 4 plants: Alternanthera reineckii, Anubias afzelii, Rotala Rotundifolia, Sekadau.

Everything has been going great. I've been giving them recommended dosages of Flourite and Flourite Excel and they all seem to be growing. However, some of the stems on my Val and the Amazon Swords are either getting eaten by something, or the plants have some deficiency that I am unaware of. (Pictures included)

As far as cleaner fish: I have an Otocinclus Catfish[, common pleco, and a butterfly pleco. (Some snails that I never see on the plants, and some shrimp that don't really touch the plants that high up.) I often see the Oto on the plants chewing at them, but from what I've heard online, they don't eat the plants, only the algae. Not sure I believe this because he's always on the Val and the Swords looking like he's eating away at them. Sometimes the common pleco does this too, but not nearly as much. The butterfly is pretty good about staying on the glass or cleaning the rocks.

Has anyone else had trouble with Oto's or pleco eating their plants? If so I'll move them to another tank.
Perhaps someone can see another issue with the plants that I don't see?

Please let me know.
Thanks!

Substate: Eco-Complete Planted Black.
Temp: 78
Nitrate: 10-15
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 150-300ppm (Hard. Working on getting softer water)
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 120-150pmm
PH: 7.3 (Higher than I'd like. Need to buy some reducer.)

Attachments

• Photo Mar 05, 3 56 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 3 56 51 PM.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo Mar 05, 3 57 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 3 57 17 PM.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo Mar 05, 3 57 34 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 3 57 34 PM.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo Mar 05, 3 58 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 3 58 03 PM.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 38

TWiG87

The holes are most likely due to a potassium deficiency. The dying leaves could be some normal melt while the plant adapts to your water. There’s nothing in your pictures that really screams “I’m being eaten” If that makes sense. With that said, some plecos have an appetite for live plants

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Colt Frost
Replies