Something’s Wrong Help

1. Anna94

Anna94 Valued Member Member

Shouldn’t my sponge be a lot dirtier/grosser than this? The filter’s been running for 5 months, but the biomedia is from an old filter that ran for a year and a half. The tank is a 29 tall and I currently have 14 fish. IMG_8861.JPG IMG_8862.JPG

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Wow! What type of fish do you have and what type of filter? I just cleaned my sponge and it was dirtier than that after cleaning. However, my tank has goldfish which are water piggies.

3. M

Madeline Peterson New Member Member

Don't worry about it. How dirty your sponge gets varies depending on a number of factors, and has no bearing on how healthy your tank is.

4. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

The important bacteria are not visible.

You must have a super clean tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Anna94

I have cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, rasboras, and otos

6. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Well, they do have small bio loads. If the water is clear and clean it must be doing its job.

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Wow - mine is way dirtier than that, even after I wash it. I assume it is wet & water is flowing through it? Do you have a pre-filter sponge on?

8. OP
    OP
    Anna94

No, but I do have a sponge filter as well being powered by a powerhead and it isn’t grody either.

9. Anne79

Anne79 New Member Member

wish mine would be as clean ... its gross me a bit when i rinse it in the dirty water after maintenance.. mine is totally brown compare to yours... :)