Someonefishy's Reef Tank Build

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all! I have been doing tank stocking mania these last few days. I got the 15 Gallon Fluval Flex all setup in the first month, with 2 clowns and 2 hermits. Then, I got in trouble of sorts, and school got to me (lets no get into it, lol.) Anyway, I then was able to go to the fish store. I got the following -
5 Hermits
1 Turbo Snail
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Rose Bubble Anemone
1 Serpent Starfish (2 1/2 legs are damaged, i get to help regrow!!)
1 Green Button Coral
1 Kenya Tree
1 Moving Mushroom?

The coral frag is very small for the mushroom, so I'm a little worried it won't stay in place. I have a powerhead, so that is why im worried. It moved to the floor of the tank.

2 Questions - A: Do coral move B: Can I leave him on the floor?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mushroom corals are actually AKA "disc anemone". They aren't true nems but they aren't really coral in the strictest sense of the word. It is VERY normal for them to move when placed in your tank. Yes, you can leave him on the floor. Most of them prefer low flow and lower light (assuming you're talking about regular run of the mill mushrooms) but even in an ideal spot they will often take a little walk. Usually this results in part of the foot being left behind, which will grow into a new mushroom.
If you're worried about the powerhead, worry about that RBTA - they will move a lot further a lot faster than the shroom will, and if he gets into the powerhead....not good. You can wrap it with a strip of foam to protect him. Also, for the nem, I hope you upgraded from your stock light...

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have no particular story, more of a question I guess. The big questions we can try to cover are:

How small is "OK" to frag
When SHOULD you frag
HOW should you frag, and if you need equipment.

Hi again! I have a small GB zoanthid that is doing well. My only "concern," is how they fold into themselves when something happens, such as me opening the tank to try and feed the anemone. Is this a normal behavior, or do I need to be worried?

Last edited by a moderator:

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is their method of protection and very normal As long as your water quality/light/flow is right for them they should open back up after a little while (a few minutes to hours). Zoas are hard to tell exactly what they need...there are soooo many kinds, and they like different levels of light and flow.
Remember coral are animals too. When you bug them they say "hey!!!" and sometimes sulk.

You can find lots of info on Youtube and google about fragging. It is completely dependent upon the type of coral.
Mushrooms will frag themselves by walking off their foot. Kenya trees too; they just drop branches everywhere - soon you'll be throwing them away... Zoas you can drop a rock on the colony and they'll grow over the top and you just pull it off. Anything with a hard skeleton has to be broken or cut, again depending on the type. leathers are a whole other ball of wax.

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is their method of protection and very normal As long as your water quality/light/flow is right for them they should open back up after a little while (a few minutes to hours). Zoas are hard to tell exactly what they need...there are soooo many kinds, and they like different levels of light and flow.
Remember coral are animals too. When you bug them they say "hey!!!" and sometimes sulk.

You can find lots of info on Youtube and google about fragging. It is completely dependent upon the type of coral.
Mushrooms will frag themselves by walking off their foot. Kenya trees too; they just drop branches everywhere - soon you'll be throwing them away... Zoas you can drop a rock on the colony and they'll grow over the top and you just pull it off. Anything with a hard skeleton has to be broken or cut, again depending on the type. leathers are a whole other ball of wax.
lol, that is great! Thanks for the info. I am excited for the reef to grow. I'll post some pics of the tank, and of the damaged star, "ragtag"

Anemone question coming at you guys. He recently crawled under the live rock I have, it must be comfortable or something for him. Should I be concerned if he doesn't come back out? I got him so I could try and create a natural environment, (also just because nems are cool...) I was hoping the clownfish could host, but if he is under the rock, it'll be hard for him to be a host, and to feed and whatnot.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi @SomeoneFISHy Congrats on the salty build. I have moved your questions regarding this tank so they are all in one thread, making it easier for us to keep up with what's going on and better answer your questions. Please contain your updates and questions about this tank here, as this will also help keep the forum nice and tidy. If you would like to change the title, or perhaps to edit the first post to include more info about the tank, then I am more than glad to help you with that.

As for your questions, I completely agree with @Magicpenny75 's advice. For a year with them in my tank, I would have sworn that mushrooms don't move, but indeed they do. Though moving is one thing and attaching for the first time in your tank is another. For now, try to provide him with super low flow and not too much lighting, then let him do his thing and don't touch anymore. Btw, mushrooms are what's known as corallimorphs, closely related to corals with some physical/visible aspects similar to anemones.

Also, I have more than one reefer buddy who brought home a nem, didn't have the protective sponges on powerheads, and lost the anemone in the first week. Shoot, one of my better reef buddies had a nem get chewed up by a powerhead in the first several hours of introducing it to his tank. So... I cannot stress the importance of covering powerheads enough. Right now, your new nem is adjusting to a new environment and this is quite a lot of stress on him. You'll need to keep an eye as best as you can but you must also let him do his thing. If provided with the right environment and lighting, he should meander his way around until he finds his sweet spot in your tank. Unfortunately, you have little control over this but if healthy, it's likely he'll pick a place in the 'sun'. Keep in mind that nems don't always transition well, and if he dies, there's a possibility that he'll nuke your tank... meaning that his remains can release toxins that will irritate or even kill other corals. This isn't the case of every nem death in every tank but it's something I think is important for us nano reefers to remember. A smaller water volume only allows for higher concentration of toxins.

Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank... that is probably the best one-liner advice in the hobby. If the nem gets happy and finds a good happy place, it is likely that your clown will try to make a host out of him. If your mushroom finds happiness with the environment, he'll eventually move, leave part of his foot behind, and you'll have two shrooms afterward. If your zoas show happiness for some time, then grow and spread onto a new rock, you can easily separate/frag them in the tank, but even if they don't grow onto separate medium... if you do your research and take safety precautions, you may use a sharp tool to cut them and make your own frags. Lots of ifs, yeah? Well, right now everything is new and adjusting, and you do not want to mess with your new critters until they are well established and what is generally referred to as... happy.

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@stella1979 Thanks alot! I've not been on in a while, so I kinda forgot about the amount of actual threads i had. Sorry! The tread name is great, my first thread/blog/thing about my tank. I will move the powerhead, and try to protect it. The mushrooms are cool, I didn't know that they were like a coral, but not one at the same time. I'm excited for them to grow, and leave behind a frag. I will be careful with the nem. This has provided TONS of info for me. I am hoping to move away from questions, and more to updates soon here. I love how supportive everyone is. Thx again.

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A feeding question. For the nem, I have no frozen foods. I have bloodworms, and brine shrimp, as well as pellets. Can I give those to the nem? Could I crush them, and put them into a bowl of saltwater, the use a baster to feed it?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so glad I can help! And please, do not worry a bit over questions. I was full of them a couple of years ago and reefing involves ongoing research as we progress... and it's great that it's never boring. Questions, answers, and research are how we learn and help others, and educating and sharing is exactly what Fishlore is all about.

As for the anemone... I would not feed him yet. While they benefit from meaty foods, they are photosynthetic so can get all of their nutrition from the light. But... that's no fun, is it? I know how you feel and that you want to feed him but feeding an upset nem is not a good idea simply because while he's working through this other stuff, he does not also need to work on digestion. Make sense? I would wait until he's settled and fully inflated before offering food... and since you'll have some time, and your fish will appreciate this too, I'd recommend picking up some frozen food in the meantime. Quality pellets are fine, but frozen/thawed protein that exists in his natural environment is better. I'd sugges mysis shrimp, which are way healthier than brine, or a good seafood blend. I have one I like by Hikari called Mega Marine which is a blend of shrimp, clams, krill, mussels, spirulina (a superfood!) and some other stuff... I think there are oyster eggs in it.

Anyway, this is a good way to offer a wide variety while for us, it's an all-in-one. I don't currently have a regular type of nem, but my rock flowers anemones, LPS corals, and fish all go crazy for this stuff. Another really great mixed food is LRS Reef Frenzy Nano and the only reason I don't recomend this first is that it advertises to have pieces of food no bigger than a large mysis shrimp... and that's simply not true. There's some chunky stuff in there big enough for larger fish than I keep. Lucky for us though, a clownfish will bite at it until he can get it down, (my goby will also steal it in the process, 'cause he's the big mouth in the tank) and a happy anemone will have no trouble with it either. I would also say that though LRS is considered a top food option, I would wait until you have more coral. It's a blend of big, medium, small... and extra small stuff. It's great for a whole reef tank because the corals get the tiny stuff, but if corals aren't eating it, then it's just dirtying up the tank. And that leads to... on no! ALGAE!! Keep the feedings clean and simple for as long as you can my friend because algae will eventually rear its ugly head, and it certainly doesn't need a helping hand.

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UPDATE: Not a question I got the pics! We have Clown, and Fish (go figure.) :joyful: We have Ragtag the starfish (2 1/2 legs are missing. ) He is INSIDE the rock. We have the anemone. Then there are the crabs, the snail, the shrimp (made a home in the rock,) and the corals.

Attachments

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a basic overrun, first, RESEARCH! Know your tank. There are many types of tanks: FOWLR, Reef, Nano, Seahorse, Coral, etc 2nd, be patient and do a good cycle. 3rd Get fish and inverts.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom