Someone Please try to help me identify? :(

1. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I doubt anyone will be able to help me, b/c this is such a BROAD question, but the second to last time I was in one of my lf stores, I see a gorgeous!!!! saltwater fish. Come to think of it, I should have asked back then, what type of fish it was, but didn't, thinking I could find out what is was online -- but I am having a hard time. When I went back yesterday, the fish was no longer there :(

This is what the fish looks like:

saltwater, in by itself with only a few other clownfish
    Maybe about 3 inches look.
    Had very intricate delicate looking fins that protrude out (intimidating looking) on both sides like a lionfish.
    Kind of looked like a mini mini lionfish, only it was pure black and white (zebra patterned)
    Seemed to be pretty aggressive toward the clownfishes, but there was also no sign that he was venomous.

By this description, does anyone know what kind of SW fish this is?? IT's so beautiful :( I miss seeing it lol

*J

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

YES YES YES YES :) wow first reply im surprised.. THANK YOU SO MUCH :) :) :)

4. Marc Well Known Member Member

I've seen that fish before. It's amazing how cool it looks :)

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I love these!! They are so beautiful!! In the future, I want to set up a coral tank with a few of these, and definately some clownfish -- but I am currently trying to find out if they are compatible - they were together in the store, but seemed a little too aggressive for the clownfish - perhaps it was just because it was a small space.. it was only like a 8 gallon tank that they were all in.

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

An interesting note about this fish - they are mouth brooders.  According to Scott Michael (a very experienced fish writer) cardinal fishes may be the only known saltwater species that are mouth brooders.

I'm not sure if they would be aggressive with clown fish in a larger tank (I wouldn't think so). They can become aggressive with other banggai cardinal fish and keeping schools of them is not recommended.

This is a very cool fish that I've wanted for awhile now.

Mike

7. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

See I looked them up recently and some of the websites said that they are better kept in groups of 3 (or any odd numbers, 5 or 7) as long as there is plenty of cover/hiding spaces. But them some other sites say that they do better solo?? I don't know -- hard to know what you can trust anymore.

anywho -- this may some like a DUMB question, but I really dont know :-\ what does mouth brooding mean? ???

(thanks again for finding the fish for me ;))

8. Marc Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure it means that they keep their eggs/young in their mouths - to be honest though I've never really looked it up or anything :)

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yep thats what it is--keeping babies in their mouths ;)

10. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

wow pretty darn interesting ;)

Thanks for all your help people!! :D ;D :D

11. Jon Well Known Member Member

yes and the cardinal fish you saw ( a kaudern's cardinal) is well priced too... only a mere $20 a fish!
    very cute fish.

12. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

13. Jon Well Known Member Member

yes. 2 names 1 fish.

they are pretty.

They are somewhat agressive, reefsave, and carnivorous. Very pretty especially when they are swimming and very easy to take care of... great for saltwater beginners.

14. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

yea thats what i read

15. Jon Well Known Member Member

are you considering a saltwater tank?

16. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Actually in about a year I plan to get my large 125 gallon fw tank (Because I'm in love with clown loaches, bala sharks and plecos ;) so I want to get a tank that will give them Plenty enough room :)) And then shortly after that I plan to get a 40 gallon sw, with clownfish (they are my favorite fish of all time :)) and of course now - Banggai Cardinalfishes, and maybe a Peppermint Shrimp.

Right now my fiancee and I are trying to move out of our apartment into a house, so we need more room and more money to spare before we dig into my temptations, lol

17. Jon Well Known Member Member

im not sure how many saltwater fish you have looked at but my favorites are:
    Strawberry Dottybacks
    Royal Grammas
    Flame Angels
    Oscilleratus clownfish
    Anthias

all of these fish are bright neon colors which is what i love about saltwater fish. If you go to the sites that sell them they usually have tons of pictures on every little variation and type of fish. Its great. GL with ure aquaria

18. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Thanks, JON!

19. Jon Well Known Member Member

np

20. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I really like the purple queen anthias, the royal grammas and the flame angels, but not too crazy bout the others.. Thanks for the ideas ;)