someone please help my longfinned zebra danios they wont school

joshthefishman

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
please help my long finned zebra danios. I got them about a three days ago and they won't school they just chase each other, but its not like a playful chasing its more like they are bullying each other. two of them hide most of the time. they are in a 20 gallon tank with two medium boesemanI rainbows, a medium rubberlip pleco, two golden mystery snails and a very small baby bristlenose pleco. I have substrate in the tank, I have a filter, a hood with lighting, a heater, a thermometer, and a few decorations, and yesterday I had to adopt a baby comet goldfish because his tank broke, so I have him in with my fish until we can buy a new home for him. I know you aren't supposed to put goldfish with tropical fish but I had to, and if anyone says why don't you just put him in a fish bowl, I will find you and lock you in a small closet for a few days, see how you like it.

Fish tile

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No.1 how many danios do you have? You should have at least 6. No.2 boesemanI rainbows nees at least a 40 gallon to keep a large enough school of them to keep them happy. I also suggest you get at least a 10 gallon tank for your goldfish since they produce a lot of waste.

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Danios are shoaling fish, so if you keep two or three you will get bullying.You get it a lot with shoaling fish. You really need at least 6. But they won't shoal tightly, they'll just chase each other like they do now, but they'll enjoy it, without the aggression.

You'll need a tank much bigger than 10 gallons for a goldfish, lol.

Fish tile

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For the goldfish it should at least have a 20 gallon but I am assuming since his main tank is a 20 gallon he isn't going to give one fish a tank of this size.

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish tile said:
For the goldfish it should at least have a 20 gallon but I am assuming since his main tank is a 20 gallon he isn't going to give one fish a tank of this size.
He'll have to as a final home. Goldfish grow a foot long, so it will need at least a 100g.

Fish tile

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally unless if he is willing to build a pond for him, which I think is the best place for koI and goldfish he should just be rehomed

OP
J

joshthefishman

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have moved all my fish into a 55 gallon tank and I got four more boesemanI rainbows and six more danios, I also found a cheap 400 gallon tank for my goldfish who is named bruce, I have bought two more goldfish to live with bruce, bruce has grown since I put him in the 400 gallon, he is now around 9 inches long.
this is bruce the 9 inch long comet goldfish

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom