Someone Please Help, Goldfish With Dots On Tail

Ashley Arcos

Reaction score
I had 3 goldfish but they recently died because they had the dot /itch disease, and I was late on noticing what was happening, a couple days later I decided to get new fishes and obviously I cleaned the tank and everything but now I noticed again that one of the new goldfish is starting on getting with dots on its tail, WHAT SHOULD I DO? I was six goldfish in total and I don’t want them to die , is there a solution or something I can treat it with?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What's your tank size? What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at? Unfortunately, ich can remain dormant close to a month, so unless you cleaned everything with bleach, it's back. Fortunately, depending on where you are, there are a great number of medications that combat this illness. Also they could have come from the store with ich. What type of goldfish, fancy or common/comet?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your fish can also be infected with ich WITHOUT any immediate, apparent and obvious signs, and it's best to sopt it and treat it ASAP, as usually if it's in a more advanced stage--hence, the white spots. : ( ICH-X is a miracle liquid medical treatment for ich!

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a million brands of ich medications, even at walmart. Pick one up and treat the whole tank as directed.
Don't bother looking at the salt/heat treatment, that method is for someone with a bit more experience in the hobby because it's really easy to kill your fish that way. I've killed fish that way. It's just not a good method that was used when there were no fish drugs, don't do it. :dead::dead:

While you're here - how big is your tank? What are your water parameters? If those goldfish are fancy, your tank better be 90 gallons as that is a minimal requirement for 6 goldies. If they are common, you need a 150 gal or a pond. Without that, I'm sorry to say they will not live for long regardless of having ich or not. Ich will kill them in a week, small tank will kill them in a few months.

N8_the_Gr8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the spots look like salt grains and lots of fatigue or tiredness such as lying on the bottom or f the tank, it is most likely ICH. But I did have one instance where a cory got his face stuck in some food and had some on his back. But that is a rare instance and would be gone once they start swimming around the tank again. For treating ICH, I usually turn out the lights because ICH actually does better with lights on and turning out the lights reduces fish stress. You can turn up the heat to 83-84 degrees, 1-3 degrees per hour. Or if you want you can buy some bottled treatment from the pet store. Don’t buy the herbal stuff with garlic. Sure, maybe it helps fish eat but is not guaranteed to work. If you don’t have inverts or live plants, I would consider dosing copper such as seachem cupramine. I usually dose 50% as the recommended dosage is considered deathly toxic to fish themselves.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your fish really has ich, get Kordon Rapid-Cure (that’s what I use) or something similar (contains Malachite Green), then follow the instructions for whichever product you buy. Most stores will have one brand or another that are all pretty similar, just avoid the herbal stuff, as I’m not sure those natural remedies work. Yes, I’ve tried.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Am I really the only person who thinks heat should be tried before throwing meds at ich?? Especially for someone less experienced, slowly upping the temp, watching the thermometer and doing water changes is much safer and simpler than choosing and properly dosing medication. I have never experienced ich that was not curable with heat, and I've never heard of a fish that couldn't handle two weeks at an elevated temp.

86 degrees for fourteen days. Raise slowly. Check the temp at least three times a day. Add an airstone if you don't have one as warmer water holds less oxygen. Keep lights off as much as you can. Vacuum the substrate with a 50% water change every other day or so. The heat speeds up the life cycle of the spores, and you vacuum them up as they fall off the fish. This is far less stressful than a chemical treatment, and I have never seen it not work when done properly. You do not need to add salt.

The only time I would not advise this is if your water contains ammonia, as higher temperatures increase the fish's sensitivity to it and that could definitely hurt them more or kill them. That said, if your tank is not cycled (as in if you have any ammonia or nitrite readings whatsoever) your first course of action should be copious water changes to reduce the toxins. An ich infested fish can sometimes fight off the illness on its own, but only if their immune system is not compromised by subpar water quality. If they are compromised by toxins, medicating will not only cause more stress but may not work, and you may find yourself in need of more meds for related reasons soon enough, leading your fish in a downward spiral of toxic chemical cocktail water that may ultimately lead to its death.

So, as has been asked already - tank size and water parameters please, along with your regular maintenance schedule?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree the salt and heat method shouldn't be used by a new person to the hobby. Especially with goldfish, a cold water fish. It takes a lot more experience to bring and keep a fish 16° above what their maximum temperature should be. It would be much simpler and easier to grab a medication and use it as directed.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Am I really the only person who thinks heat should be tried before throwing meds at ich?? Especially for someone less experienced, slowly upping the temp, watching the thermometer and doing water changes is much safer and simpler than choosing and properly dosing medication. I have never experienced ich that was not curable with heat, and I've never heard of a fish that couldn't handle two weeks at an elevated temp.

86 degrees for fourteen days. Raise slowly. Check the temp at least three times a day. Add an airstone if you don't have one as warmer water holds less oxygen. Keep lights off as much as you can. Vacuum the substrate with a 50% water change every other day or so. The heat speeds up the life cycle of the spores, and you vacuum them up as they fall off the fish. This is far less stressful than a chemical treatment, and I have never seen it not work when done properly. You do not need to add salt.

The only time I would not advise this is if your water contains ammonia, as higher temperatures increase the fish's sensitivity to it and that could definitely hurt them more or kill them. That said, if your tank is not cycled (as in if you have any ammonia or nitrite readings whatsoever) your first course of action should be copious water changes to reduce the toxins. An ich infested fish can sometimes fight off the illness on its own, but only if their immune system is not compromised by subpar water quality. If they are compromised by toxins, medicating will not only cause more stress but may not work, and you may find yourself in need of more meds for related reasons soon enough, leading your fish in a downward spiral of toxic chemical cocktail water that may ultimately lead to its death.

So, as has been asked already - tank size and water parameters please, along with your regular maintenance schedule?
i just came here because my goldish got ick, i was concerned about heat treatment as goldish like cooler water, but can i use the heat treatmebt for a 2 inch fan tail and 2 inch shubunkin fncy goldish?

EDIT TO ADD: i have super ick cure from api, and general cure from api, would this be a better option for me, as im ne to fish keeping and would hate to loose my fish due to negligants on my part

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom