Someone help me please?

GuppieLover

Reaction score
Well I had finally gotten the temperature in the tank back down to a somewhat decent 79F (26C). I usually keep the tank at around 75F (24C), but I knew this was within recommended range for guppies so I was happy.

Unfortunatly, DANG HEATWAVE is back! We had a HUGE storm last night which cut out the power most of the night,,,, and you guessed it: with nothing to help the tank remain cool the temperatures soared up again,,, and is back at 86F (30C)! >

Now I am very worried because one of my guppies is acting rather strangely today: she keeps either hidding in the plants, or remains at the bottom of the tank. She does swim around a bit when I appraoch the tank to take a look at her, but after a few minutes she'll settle down somewhere and just stay put. She looks perfectly fine physically: her gills look good, her fins are fine (and not clumped against her body), her colours are same as always (meaning absolutly beautiful ); I am at a lost as to what could be wrong.

Is it possible she is just stressed out because I have been having such trouble keeping the tank's temperature constant? If so, what can I do? Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? ???

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know what temperatures you're getting, but today, where I live in NY, is supposed to be 110 - 120F !!! Can you believe it? Now I know what **** looks like, lol. Terribly hot, even at night it is around 85F. If not my A/C, my fish would be fried long ago. I don't want to scare you but my cousin who has a tropical fish tank lost a few of her fish in the last couple of days because of the heat wave. She had her A/C on and still it was terribly hot in her apartment. They MUST have died from heat because she said the temperature of the water was close to 90F.

Is all power in your house completely off? Is it possible to have some fan positioned in front of your tank? I suppose there are no battery-operated fans? It is a terrible situation - I can only imagine. Maybe keep adding cool (dechlorinated, of course) water to the tank every few hours (or more often - depending on how fast the temperature in your tank goes up). And ... I suppose, let us HOPE you get the power back on real soon.

But wait a second ... if you're able to use a computer, then your power IS back on, lol. If it's hot inside your house, turn your A/C on if you have one! And if not, you must have some fan? Take the tan and put it in front of the tank. If that won't help, add cool water together with having the fan positioned next to your tank. Only when you add cooler water, of course don't add some freezing water! Add cool water very gradually so that your fish don't experience any further temperature shocks.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well the cooler water would be at the bottom of the tank and I am sure that she would know that, they are smart little things.  Mine always head for the bottom of the tank when there is a change in the weather no matter what kind.  As long as she is eating and here fins are not clamped, and her color is good and she is swimming normally at least at times she is showing no sign of disease.  It is not unusual for fish to live in 86 degree temperature as long as there is an airstone going to keep the oxygen level high enough.  just keep an eye on things otherwise and if the signs of stress start again you may have to do the cooler water changes again.  Or even freeze some dechlorinated water and float some ice cubes in the water.  It will not bring the temp down that fast and yet be a long term slow type of cooling for them.  You can always remove them if you think the fish are getting stressed. I am not saying put the whole surface full of them but 2 or 3 at a time and let them slowly melt to give a steady yet more slow decrease in temperature.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Or - what I just learned from Carol - you can use a bottle with frozen water and float it in your tank.

GuppieLover

Reaction score
Yesterday (I posted this yesterday), the temperatue was at 86F, but with Humidex factor went up to 110F! Yeah Isabella, I agree with you: we DEFINITLY know what **** looks like! Man but it is hot lol. I am not that far North of you really, I am in Montreal.

Anyway, thanks to you and Chikadee for the advice. I do have two horizontal airstones in the tank, have always had them; so I knew lack of oxygen would not be a concern. I have what are called "ice blankets" in my freezer: They're like ice packs, but divided in smaller cubes stuck together. Great for Ice boxes or sports injuries by the way. Anyway, after reading your reply Chikadee, I wrapped those blankets in Saran Wrap (to protect from pathogens) And let them float on the water surface. I also used a fan, like Isabella recommended, for the rest of the afternoon; then reused the ice blankets last night. When I went to bed, the temp in the tank was 84F.

The humidex levels have subsided somewhat over night, it is definitly more comfortable today. The tank cooled another 2 degrees over night and is now at 82F. I have the ice blankets floating there now and will re-use the fan latter to see if I can gradually bring it back to below 79F. The guppy in question is still not acting herself, but she is not hidding as much: now she is either resting on the gravel or on the plastic plant.

Will keep you posted and thanks again for the help.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yup - too hot! I measured the temperature outside again yesterday. It went up to 122F and then stopped measuring because that is the highest the thermometer could measure (the alarm went off once it hit 122F, lol). So I suppose it could have been anywhere between 122-130F in the sun yesterday. Same today. UNBELIEVABLE. There is simply nothing to breathe with outside.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ice water bottle would probably cool the tanks more thoroughly and faster than the ice cubes. My tanks do not get as hot as yours so are not as desperate to get cooled. You may try chipping the ice to put in 1 liter bottles if you do not have any available at the present until you can get some frozen.

Rose

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like others have said i would try the fan first. just remember ..... you dont want to drop the temp to quick .... and 84 degrees isnt all that bad . ( if you happen to get ich one of the first things most reccomend is to raise the temp right. i keep my tanks from 78-82 year round) if you aren't losing any fish with that temp don't panic and change the temp too quickly and stress your fish.... you may doom them yourself. the main thing i guess is just try and lower the temp slowly not all at once in 15 minutes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom