Someone claiming iwagumi scapes are bad for the fish?

Mii

Someone online claims that iwagumi scapes are somehow less good for the fish? I really don't see how they could be, can someone please explain or is this all nonsense?

ruud

I can think of a couple of reasons, but most importantly: Iwagumi, which is plant-wise dominated by carpeting plants, is probably the only type of scape where CO2 injection is near-mandatory, especially if the tank is tall and especially if you work with plants, such as HC, that are in high demand for light and correspondingly CO2. High concentrations of CO2 is not exactly healthy for livestock.

I don't know what concentrations are OK for fish. Top of mind I would say to stay below 30 ppm. But I don't use CO2 injection myself, so perhaps someone else can elaborate.

otterblue

I've read that it's potentially bad for shyer fish that need more cover & bad for fish that don't prefer swimming in "open water". So, maybe not ideal for fish that prefer hides & cover options instead of aesthetics - but good for confident schools of fish.

TClare

My immediate thought was the lack of cover and hiding places. Also not good for fish that like sifting the substrate.

Mii

I've read that it's potentially bad for shyer fish that need more cover & bad for fish that don't prefer swimming in "open water". So, maybe not ideal for fish that prefer hides & cover options instead of aesthetics - but good for confident schools of fish.
What types of fish do you think would do good with less cover and what would be bad? Obviously there's a lot if different species but just a general idea?

otterblue

What types of fish do you think would do good with less cover and what would be bad? Obviously there's a lot if different species but just a general idea?

I'll let someone more experienced than me answer that one, but two of my picks would possibly be a large group of zebra danios OR a large group of tiger barbs in a species-only tank. (Although I guess neither of those are truly schooling fish.)

Someone else can give you a much better answer, sorry.

TClare

I am not sure either. Depends on tank size. Has to be fish that are not shy, do not mind bright light do not jump when scared, do not need exposed substrate....I think a variety of tetras and rasboras are usually used in this type of scape, but I don't really know which would be suitable.

Mudminnow

I'm with others on this one. I think it has more to do with bright lights and lack of cover than anything else. Some fishes will just be stressed in such conditions. But, many smaller schooling fishes would be perfectly happy. I've kept harlequin rasboras, bloodfin tetras, and cardinal tetras in different iwagumi type scapes, and they seemed perfectly happy to me.

Cawafuoshi

I am not claiming expertise but one thing I consider is that fish ideally represent a flock of birds in such a scape. Therefore it would be ideal for the fish to school. But even schooling fish seem to “forget“ about this when kept in an environment that seems safe and comfy for them. So, in such a scape fish perhaps are not meant to feel safe and comfy.

Ksway

Yes they mean that it isn't good for fish because it doesn't offer many hiding places for some fish that need them. If you use appropriate fish it's absolutely fine. Its a lot better than neon pink gravel and aluminous jelly fish ornaments lol (no offense if that's some people's taste I'm a nature aquarium snob haha )

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies
Views
tommywantfishy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishproblem