Somebody reassure me

1. Jowenbra

Jowenbra Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I just introduced the first fish to my 40 gallon. It's my first real tank, I only have a 10 gallon with some guppies and endlers besides this. I've taken every precaution, it cycled for nearly 6 weeks, and all water parameters are good. The fish I introduced (for now) are 4 khulis and 2 pearl gourami, I think it's an M/F pair but I can't be sure, unless they mate or something. The only issue I have is my water has fairly high ph, but I think it should be fine. Despite everything going exactly how it should so far I'm still unreasonably worried I did something wrong and the fish are suffering and/or dying. Has anybody else felt this when first introducing fish to a new tank? I am going to be very relieved when they all decide to stop hiding. Here is my planned stock for anyone interested: http://bit.ly/22Eeogy

2. moonraingirl

moonraingirl Member Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello Jowenbra, I know that feeling, too. I've had my fish for a week now and I'm still concerned if they are OK. I'm worried about tank parameters, temperature, and best method to clean the tank. I've done my research best as I could and the fish look fine, but I'm still expecting that I'll find them dead next time I'll look there... I think it will take a month or two until I'm relaxed a bit :-/
    It feels better to know that someone else has similar feelings

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Your planned stock looks good as far as everyone getting along, and space wise your good to ( you still have about 20% )
    Your Kuhli may be hiding because they prefer to be in groups of 6+, but you plan on getting 10 so your fine.
    What is the temperature in your tank?
    Cardinals usually prefer a higher temperature (75+)
    Gold tetras seem to be slightly harder to keep. You could stay with them (you just have to be carful) or Ember Tetras also have the orange-gold color if that's what you're looking for. They also stay 1" so you could get 15-17 of them.

4. OP
    OP
    Jowenbra

Jowenbra Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm keeping the temp around 77, and the golds can be swapped, I may also get rummynose but embers are also a possibility. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this! Haha