somebody is lying about this metal shelve

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by EROLHSIF, Jul 23, 2015.

1. EROLHSIFNew MemberMember

It's a 3-tier black metal shelve, listed at Home Depot and Walmart. Home Depot doesn't list a manufacturer name, but Walmart has it a Whitmor. Both website list the same model #6070-3437. I wanted to buy it for my new 29Gallon tank as Home Depot show it can hold 350lb. per shelf. But Walmart shows 200lb. per shelf. Somebody is lying, what max pound you think each shelf can hold?

Here are the links:

2. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

I'm seeing both say 350 lb weight capacity per shelf. Idk if I would trust it with a fish tank being that the worst case scenario of a failure is a lot of water on your floor along with sand/gravel, and of course your fish... I would go with something that is solid wood or metal, not the wire rack type shelving. Maybe it would work, I just wouldnt risk it if it was my tank..

3. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

It looks like they have different feet, so maybe that is why they are different weight limits.

4. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

That Home Depot one looks just like what I bought of Amazon for $45. Same size and everything. Said each shelf was 350lb if evenly distributed. I'm using it for my two snakes so I wasn't too worried, but I got it in case I do use it for aquariums later.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

here is the stand that i bought. so you can know its good quality. i would trust 350 on each shelf, but maybe not on all three at the same time. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BDP69M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  5. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

A 29 with water and substrate is right sround 300 pounds. You should be OK.

Just curious as to why you don't want a stand made for aquariums?

6. kidster9700

a 29 with water alone is about 300lbs. with substrate its probably going to be 330 if you add a pound for every gallon. one gallon of water is almost exactly 10lbs. so i would not put a 29 on there unless you felt really good about it and weren't putting in anything but plants and maybe a small piece of driftwood.

7. BDpups

A gallon of water is just over 8 pounds, 8.34 to be exact. If there is substrate in the tank, this will displace some of the water, you will not have 29 gallons in the tank.

So, a 29 gallon with water and substrate is around 300 pounds...

8. kidster9700

either way, the tank itself weighs idk, 20lbs? i have a hard time lifting mine and 20lbs is about how much i can easily pick up and move around. don't forget the weight of the hood, heater, filter, etc. its all pretty minimal but adds up fast.
    i wouldn't do a 29 on this stand unless you plan on weighing everything and keeping track of it all. because it would be very easy to go over 350.

9. BDpups

I factored all those things in. It's around 300 pounds. And that is accounting for a lot of substrate.

The tank dry is 40 pounds.

10. frampy

frampyWell Known MemberMember

Look at a restaurant supply house. Those shelf units hold way more weight.

11. BDpups

$39.99 plus shipping. And the peace of mind you have stand built for your aquarium. It holds two aquariums too. So when those $1 a gallon sales are going on, you already have a stand.

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well I bought a metal shelf rack from Home Depot 36x18 rated at 500 lbs per shelf that I'm using as a double stand for my 40g and my 29g. The 40g hasn't collapsed yet so I must still be under 500 lbs!

13. BDpups

So the collapse will tell you if it's too heavy?!?!?!

I'm kidding. I couldn't resist ;)

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hahaha, was slowly adding the water when I was filling it...

15. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

Reminds me of how the guys torque bolts in my shop... Tighten them until they snap off or strip, then back them off 1/4 turn.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. OP
    OP
    E

EROLHSIFNew MemberMember

I'm just gonna go to petco and buy this metal stand, only $42.49

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Just buy this and do store pickup, save money!

18. OP
    OP
    E

EROLHSIFNew MemberMember

I can't put that in a small bedroom.

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well you were looking at a 36x14 so I figured this wasn't much bigger. They also have a 30x12x60 also I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice