Some very sad news

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The entire population of Endler's at our university has been euthanized after they got too sick.

BlueMist

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How tragic. Was there no way to at least save a few?

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BlueMist said:
How tragic. Was there no way to at least save a few?
He wasn't able to save any of them. I got about 100 from him at the end of spring when he said they were shutting down the experiment and needed to get rid of the fish. I don't know how many other people in the area have sizable groups, but I feel really responsible now for keeping them going.

BlueMist

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was really great that you saved at least 100 of them. Ave you ever thought of breeding and then selling them?

kevymd

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh no!! Did he say what they had? I'm so glad you got some when you did.

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BlueMist said:
It was really great that you saved at least 100 of them. Ave you ever thought of breeding and then selling them?
They breed so quickly, I'm mostly working at slowing them down . No one else around here seems very interested in them. It's hard for me to understand why people are getting lots of farm bred fish at the stores instead.

kevymd said:
Oh no!! Did he say what they had? I'm so glad you got some when you did.
Mycobacteria. Very bad stuff. Sigh.

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JoshM said:
Wait so are there any left?
Sorry about what happened
None left. All gone. I met a bio dept head once from another university who told me that he once had to have over 5000 mice put down because of a disease outbreak. What happened to the Endler's is devastating, however, because it's been universities who have been keeping them from going extinct.

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cygnus said:
That is sad. Were they all pure strains?
Yes, descended from Felix Breden's collection of specimens. They were used to study evolutionary genetics both in breeding and also DNA sequencing.

LuckyCorys

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is a loss. How large a colony was the university maintaining before the end?

So, EndlerCollector, what do you think you'll do going forward, in light of this? I know you've been trying to separate the sexes to try to slow them down. You want to keep your own colony of type N Endlers healthy, for sure. Do you want to only keep them there? Work with a few people to start colonies elsewhere? You seem to want to keep the genetic line pure.

Cygnus

Well Known
Reaction score
From all the reading that I have done, the N class breeders are few and far between.

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
corynoobluck said:
This is a loss. How large a colony was the university maintaining before the end?

So, EndlerCollector, what do you think you'll do going forward, in light of this? I know you've been trying to separate the sexes to try to slow them down. You want to keep your own colony of type N Endlers healthy, for sure. Do you want to only keep them there? Work with a few people to start colonies elsewhere? You seem to want to keep the genetic line pure.
I don't know how many they had--the hundred I took may have been 1/3 of what was in that particular tank, but there were others in tanks for specific studies.

I'm not equipped to breed them. There's someone new I have to euthanize tonight and I just spotted a gonopodium on a boy without colors in the fry tank and have to catch soon. I'm trying to keep them healthy and perhaps other people in the area will get interested. Then if someone among them is able to handle it, that person can take things further, hopefully getting other people elsewhere to collect them and keep them going.

New Threads