Some Symptoms

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ostadsiah, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ostadsiah

ostadsiahValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hey! Two weeks ago I changed the substrate of my tank and used dirt and sand.
    When I added my fish, I'm seeing some symptoms, like: my angelfish is lethargic, doesn't eat anything, one eye is kinda cloudy, once I saw her scratch herself, once I saw her twitch.
    Are these symptoms of ammonia/nitrite stress and poisoning or parasite?
    I did test my water, and the test shows no trace of ammonia. But my test could be wrong or expired maybe??

I'm doing daily water changes now and she swims a little more than before.

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sounds more like a bacterial thing. I used Paraguard for my betta's cloudy eye and it started improving the next day and healed within a few days; I did a week of treatment to be sure it was fully taken care of. I'd had him for a few days and he'd been glass surfing; I had a lava rock near the glass and I think he might've scratched his eye. Then I did a gravel cleaning and stirred up stuff; the next day, he had cloudy eye. I think he might've had an injury that became infected after he followed the vac around and swam in debris. I have some potting soil in the tank from the pothos I'd put in before I got him and the soil makes a mess when stirred up. It's dirt, and we all know wounds can become infected when dirty.

One time scratching and one time twitching isn't all that significant, but combined with the other symptoms, could indicate something is going on. I had a platy suddenly start hanging out near the bottom and being less active and I wondered if she was going to give birth. But after a week or so, maybe 2, she started flashing and I said I was done waiting for more symptoms and treated the tank with General Cure and didn't have problems after. I suspected she had gill flukes but I don't know for sure what the problem was.

Can you post your actual test readings?
    Did you test before or after a water change and conditioning the water? Some conditioners like Prime might skew your results if you test after adding it.

3. OP
    OP
    ostadsiah

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you for your reply!
    I don't think it's an injury of the eye like your betta, cause of other behaviors like not eating for a week now and being shy and lethargic etc. The cloudyness is fairly new.
    Do you think I should use general cure?
    My ammonia test always shows 0. That's why I got suspicious that it might be wrong and not working.
    I tested my water before wc.

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well, there could be a few things going on. Usually cloudy eyes are signs of a bacterial thing going on. The rest could be parasites but also could be a bacterial infection.

There's several different things you can do depending on what you think is best, easiest, or more beneficial:
    1. Paraguard treats fungus, bacteria, viruses, and external parasites. Paraguard baths or putting it in the QT or even the main tank are options. It's effective but not super strong as to be a last resort.
    2. Salt baths to disinfect the fish and potentially treat parasites. This can be in conjunction with other treatments.
    3. API General Cure to treat parasites.
    4. API Erythromycin for bacterial issues.
    5. General Cure and Erythromycin together has been used safely together by Aquarium Co-Op and several other well-known fish YouTubers (usually with Ich-X as well). This may be a good option to hit both (potential) problems. They can safely by used in the main tank, which you might want to do since they're new fish anyway and can prevent spreading if that is a possibility. But it's entirely up to you if you want to treat all fish.
    6. Antibiotic like Kanaplex (kanamycin) in case there's an internal infection causing the lethargy. I'd probably do this as a last resort since it's absorbed into the body.

5. OP
    OP
    ostadsiah

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you for your help!