Some Substrate Questions

1. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm planning on setting up a 29 gallon FW tank and would really like to use black substrate. I've read up on the Black Diamond 20/40 "sand" and the pricing is great, but I see (on Drs. Foster & Smith) a Carib Sea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Mon Reef sand. It's much pricier, but got very good reviews. I'm curious what makes people choose one over the other?

Also, having always had gravel substrates and being used to vacuuming the gravel, what should I know about keeping the sand clean? I'd like to plant live plants and have a school of corys.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

From what I've heard, the Black Diamond sand is just cheaper, but dirtier. When you add sand, put it into the aquarium first, then put a plate in the tank. Pour the water onto the plate (and over it when the water goes above the plate), so the sand won't all cloud up the tank. Vacuuming is the same but a little above it (the sand) with a gravel vac.

3. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Rinse the sand very well, it does have a occasional case of being oily as it is coal fines. Had a friend who removed it from her tank after several months. If you see a oily film rinse until completely gone.