Some Sort Of Shark ..

1. Paul Initiate Member

I bought these a couple of months ago and the shop were not 100% sure what they are ...they get on well with my Silver sharks & look a lot like them , but smaller , can anyone tell me what they are ...?

Attached Files:

2. betta waita Initiate Member

wow, to me it looks like a strenched baby piranha, but piranhas are roundish not long ???

3. betta waita Initiate Member

are silver sharks preditores, thier very tiny?

4. Paul Initiate Member

They are about 2 inches long with orange tips on the fins, but no one can tell me what they are called ?the silver sharks are about 4 inches and don't really give any other fish any grief I think its only neons they like the taste of ..

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

6. Paul Initiate Member

Thanks for that, i've had a look @ some pics on the web, and while its the closest i have seen so far i'm not convinced, mine look a lot more steamlined than the bard with not such an incline from their heads to main fin...and the colouring on mine is bright orange rather than reddy colour ...thanks for the help though .

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

It's definitely a red tail tinfoil barb. Petsmart has several EXACTLY like that.

8. Paul Initiate Member

Nice one ........thanks Emma ...

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

lol ty ;D

10. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is a "roach". It's scientific name is "Rutilus rutilus". It looks very much like a tropical tinfoil barb and has a similar behavior to it, but it's not a tinfoil barb. This fish grows to around 12 inches.

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oh i get it
    petsmart called it "red tail tinfoil barb", so now i know! :D

13. Paul Initiate Member

Nice one Isabella, i've had a look @ the piccy you sent me & it looks spot on ...I thought it might be some really cool obscure fish ...never mind....I've had 2 of them for a couple of months now & they are bout 2.5" long with very clear colouring on their fins, I am now a little worried bout how big they are going to get, I have a 40gal tank ...Is it an urban myth that they grow to the size the tank will allow or are they just goin to get bigger..

Many thanks all of you ...