Some questions about my angelfish

Shadoweliterecon

Okay these questions are fairly random and not particularly important... I'll list them below.

1.Do angelfish yawn? Last night shortly after feeding my black angelfish stretched out his mouth and seemed to open his gills (like he was taking a deep breath or something), then went back to picking scraps off the rocks.I'm sitting there thinking "Was that a... yawn?" Then five minutes later my marble one did it too. What is it they're doing? I've never really seen them do that before...

2.There is an odd luminescent patch on both fish. The black one has it near his gills and it appears to be sort of dusty, while the marble angelfish seems to have it on individual scales. I'll post some pictures, but they're not very clear. They only appear at a certain angle (Not a certain light, it's definitely just the angle) and I'm not sure if it's some sort of weird reflection or an algae, bacteria... No idea. If you can identify what it may be that'd put me at ease, thanks.

Again, sorry they're not clear, but I can't seem to get the fish to stay still long enough for my iPod to focus correctly >.< ( I couldn't get any pictures of the patch on the black one at all) Just so you know where to look since it's difficult to see in a picture, it's near the head and gills and looks kind of like a shiny green.

3.How exactly do you go about measuring angelfish? I know they can get 6+ inches, but do you include their fins or just their bodies?

4.How long does it take for angelfish to reach full size?

5.My black angelfish seems to have some discoloration... He has white patches and brown patches randomly on his body. They are not missing scales or growths as far as I can tell, just discolored patches. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance

Shadoweliterecon

You obviously don't have to answer all the questions, just the ones you're capable of answering. Thanks again.

Heros severus

Nothing looks wrong with the fish in the picture. Angelfish coloration doesn't have to be uniform. Especially ones form mixed strains, they'll have different patterns and colors on them. Perfectly normal.

Fish open their mouths all the time. He was probably just trying to swallow food.

Shadoweliterecon

Okay well apparently there was something wrong with them. I woke up today and my marble angelfish was lying on his side and the black angelfish was hanging out by the bottom. I helped the angel get up with my net and he managed to stay up, but it's all he can do just to stay that way. He can't swim up. I'm at school so I can't post a video, but I guess it's a swim bladder problem? How do I treat this..? I'll have to post a separate thread I guess. I figured the "discoloration" was probably normal, but that shiny stuff near the face and gills seems to be increasing and I'm worrying if it may be part of this problem...

Heros severus

Do you know what your water parameters are? How long have you had your Angels, how long has the tank been running?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
MarianTheLibrarian
  • Question
Replies
Views
Annathefishlady
  • Question