Some questions about a filter cartridge that I replaced and the bacteria that is in it. Also "seeding" new filter media.

aidanfish2002

So 24 hours ago I took my filter cartridge out of my filter and replaced it with a coarse sponge and Seachem Matrix. I put the filter cartridge that had all my BB in it into a ziploc bag and left it there for 24 hours until a couple minutes ago when I read that you can cut the filter cartridge up and put it in a media bag to seed the new media you're replacing it with. So I just cut the filter up and put everything that was in the filter cartridge (black pebbles - maybe activated carbon?) and on the outside of it into a media bag of its own right above the coarse sponge and right below the media bag with the Seachem Matrix... so in between both new medias. First question I have is will this work in "seeding" the new media with beneficial bacteria? Second question is what was the black pebbles inside the filter cartridge... was that activated carbon? - I threw that stuff into the media bag too along with the cotton looking stuff that you find on the outside of all filter cartridges. 3rd question is did the beneficial bacteria die in the ziploc bag over the 24 hours I left it in there? - When I took the filter cartridge out of ziploc bag it was still really damp, I wouldn't say it was soaked but it definitely was not dried out whatsoever.

Sorry if you're seeing my threads over and over again tonight - I have a lot of questions at the moment.

DuaneV

Yes that will work, yes it was carbon (you didnt need to keep it unless you're using carbon for a reason), no your bacteria didnt die as long as it was kept wet. If it dried out, then yes.

aidanfish2002

Maybe I'll take that carbon out then. It wasn't dried out in the slightest... this is awesome, thanks a lot. Just what I was hoping for.

Yes that will work, yes it was carbon (you didnt need to keep it unless you're using carbon for a reason), no your bacteria didnt die as long as it was kept wet. If it dried out, then yes.
One more question, I have the cut up filter cartridge media in one bag and the Seachem Matrix in another media bag right above that catridge bag. Should I put the two together in one bag? I feel like this would "seed" it better.

DuaneV

Yeah, might help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Spangledhoagiees