Some pond questions

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
We will be building a new house soon(we don't have permits or anything yet, but engineers have approved the house and drawn it up) and there is an opening in the middle that we were going to put a pool in, but decided not to. Since my dad and I love fish, we decided to put some ponds(as well as my tortoise) out there. It will be in an enclosed area, which means no predators! There will be a screen on the top to prevent large birds(we have herons and ospreys down here) from getting the fish.
My dad and I have some odd ideas and were wondering what would work, and how big the ponds would need to be.
The basics of each pond will be above ground, cement or something similar, waterfalls(depending on fish), and plexiglass viewing panels. They will all have custom filtration built to the needs of the fish and a drain at the bottom for easy water changes (drain will lead to another pond).

Ideas-
1.) koi pond. We can get koi for free(the koi at my dad's work breed like crazy) and at a big discount online(they order a pallet(60 bags) of fish food often, so we get huge discounts on food, supplies, fish).
2.) large chiclid pond. My dad really likes large, colorful chiclids.
3.) teacup stingrays(my dad's favorite idea). He loves saltwater rays, but the Freshwater ones have cool patterns, so we really want these.
4.) guppy/ frog pond. My personal favorite idea.
5.) crayfish. I want a pond dedicated to blue crays.

I will let you all know the dimensions of the area we have to work with once I can get my hands on the blueprint. We want to do all these ponds, and will slowly build them one at a time, but want pros/cons, and suggestions on size, dimensions, filtration, design, etc. we live in Florida, so it doesn't get very cold during winter and we can provide heaters/ chillers(for summer) when necessary.
Also, please keep I'm mind the tortoise. He is a russian tortoise, so he doesn't get very big, but we need to make sure that he won't get hurt.
Thanks in advance, Flowingfins.

alink

Well Known
Dont have any experience with ponds so I can't help. I just want to keep tabs on this thread as it sounds really awesome. Cant wait for pics!!!

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Thanks alink I'll see if I can get some pictures of the koi at my dad's work. They have one that's almost 3.5 feet long!

Lobster cooker

It would be awesome if you could have a small river connecting two ponds together and a bridge going over it.

alink

Well Known
I was thinking about this last night and thought it would be cool to have a tiered system that is all linked by the water flow with different pool areas. One for each thing you want. It would all run on the same filtration system. You just have to play with the overflow to make sure its enough but not too much so that the fish stay in their pool.

Lobster cooker

Here's another idea, the bridge supports can also function as a dam so the fish stay in their ponds.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Those are awesome ideas guys! maybe I could do the bridge with the koi pond, and have the guppies/frogs in the "river" that runs between them. I could also have some sort of tiered thing that feeds the river at one end also for the frogs/guppies

Dadio

Well Known
Those are awesome ideas guys! maybe I could do the bridge with the koi pond, and have the guppies/frogs in the "river" that runs between them. I could also have some sort of tiered thing that feeds the river at one end also for the frogs/guppies

Post pics of the area. Also if a slope is present I would need that information too. There are a number of ways to go about this depending on your budget as well. I'll give you as much information and guidance as possible towards flow, filtration and overall concept if needed. Size, and flow depends on fish, so that is your choice of course, me, koi would be awesome depending of course the breed.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Well, I don't have a picture yet. We haven't even got permits. We are going to level the ground out though, so it would be flat.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
I know its a while out, but I can only imagine how awesome something like that would be, can't wait to see how it all unfolds!

smee82

I'm jealous I would love space for a pond at my house

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
We had a koi pond at our old house. I had some nice butterfly koi. We moved and took some koi with us and put them in out pond here. It would have worked out, except we have an alligator. The poor koi got eaten I've been waiting for another koi pond for ages! I even tried convincing my dad to turn our pool into a pond so I could go swimming with them lol. Anyways, still not sure on the dimensions, it's a little weird. I might draw it up.

I have a picture of the koi! The pond is roughly 100,000 gallons, they also have ducks, goldfish and turtles.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1434247730.291545.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1434247831.383930.jpg

Dadio

Well Known
Alligator, holy , I thought coons were something more to worry about or skunks, but gators...oh my lord. ? is, you still got gator possibilities? If so, then it'll require most likely a raised pond that's non-climbable and a bloody bazooka lol

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
No chance of gators, and the ponds will be raised. They're going in an open are in the middle of the house(walls are around it, it's not going to be inside). Gators are everywhere in Florida. We're lucky he's about 3 feet. I've seen a few over 20 feet.
Those are the koi at my dad's work by the way, they started with 25....

Dadio

Well Known
No chance of gators, and the ponds will be raised. They're going in an open are in the middle of the house(walls are around it, it's not going to be inside). Gators are everywhere in Florida. We're lucky he's about 3 feet. I've seen a few over 20 feet.
Those are the koi at my dad's work by the way, they started with 25....

Koi will breed well in the right conditions and with 25, won't be long. Sounds like a courtyard sorta house layout, or Spanish villa styled from what I can determine. What are you planing on coating the interior pond structure with, edpm, liquid rubber?

I'd do concrete reinforced blocks with the interior sealed with a liquid edpm for one. How you design the outside of the structures can be anything you desire, natural looking to modern out simply out of the box. The holding container seeing as it will be raised is the most important part as I believe you already know.

Bottom drain is a must so that needs to be in place before and routing of all major plumbing that is required prior to building the raised structure. I've used liquid edpm in many builds and love it for it is just as solid as any edpm liner with the advantage that it is freely applied over any sound structural surface. It allows for unlimited creativity were liners have limits, this doesn't.

Dadio

Well Known
Still can't get this gator thing out of my mind lol. I'll stick with bears and coons.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Koi will breed well in the right conditions and with 25, won't be long. Sounds like a courtyard sorta house layout, or Spanish villa styled from what I can determine. What are you planing on coating the interior pond structure with, edpm, liquid rubber?

I'd do concrete reinforced blocks with the interior sealed with a liquid edpm for one. How you design the outside of the structures can be anything you desire, natural looking to modern out simply out of the box. The holding container seeing as it will be raised is the most important part as I believe you already know.

Bottom drain is a must so that needs to be in place before and routing of all major plumbing that is required prior to building the raised structure. I've used liquid edpm in many builds and love it for it is just as solid as any edpm liner with the advantage that it is freely applied over any sound structural surface. It allows for unlimited creativity were liners have limits, this doesn't.

The koi really surprised us. We weren't expecting so many of them.

It is like a courtyard. I'll probably use edpm since you said it works so well. The walls are very important. We are going to put the drains in when we put the base on the house.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Elijah K
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Elijah K
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Brizburk
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Brizburk
  • Question
  • Danny002
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Danny002
  • Jennalovesanimals
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Oriongal

Did You Know...

If you start a Question Type thread and the issue is resolved, please remember to mark it as solved or at least up-vote the good posts in the thread that helped you. More info here: About Question Type Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom