Some pics of my pond and fish :D

Discussion in 'Pond Photos' started by platy ben, Mar 26, 2010.

1. platy benWell Known MemberMember

Hello :)

In this thread I will post pictures of my pond and fish on a regular basis so everyone can see how much the pond changes from spring through summer :)

Here is a pic of the pond for those who haven't seen my other thread, and some new pics of the fish :)

Pic of the pond :)
    Picture 198.jpg
    One of the unwanted koi from a breeder
    Picture 203.jpg
    Feeding time :D
    Picture 204.jpgPicture 205.jpgPicture 206.jpg

EDIT: Haha! Look in the top right of the last picture! That is one big mouth :p

2. yukoandkValued MemberMember

Very nice!:;rocker

3. charzar-gWell Known MemberMember

Nice pond there dude! I can't wait to get started on my own this summer :)

4. platy benWell Known MemberMember

Are you digging it yourself and making your own shape, or digging a hole for a plastic one?

5. TanaValued MemberMember

Pond looks good and the fish look awesome! I can't wait to see the progression pictures.

The water temp in my pond is only 48, so I can't feed the hungry brood just yet.

6. platy benWell Known MemberMember

I've never gone by temperature, I start to feed mine when the koi come up from the bottom and start swimming around.

7. TanaValued MemberMember

Mine aren't quite there yet. The temps are warming up, so maybe soon. They've gotta be hungry.

8. platy benWell Known MemberMember

Have you had the frogs come to your pond yet? Mine have been and gone now :)

Post a pic here so I can see your pond :)

9. TanaValued MemberMember

As a matter of fact, I startled one of the baby frogs I had last fall when I opened the skimmer lid a few days ago. Apparently he made it through the winter just fine.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and over the week-end to post during clean out, but I don't want to hi-jack your thread anymore than I have already. This is about you! :)

10. platy benWell Known MemberMember

11. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Looks awesome Ben!

12. TanaValued MemberMember

Ben - I saw that thread the other day and thought cool! I've heard spawning mops are really good to use and the tub is great since koi spawnings can get a little rough from what I've heard. Definitely less chance of injuries with those smooth sides. I know it'll work great for you or rather your koi. :)

In my own pond I just let nature take it's course. Since I have small fish in a large pond, it will be a while before I have to thin the herd too. The frogs come and go, I get a lot of dragon flies and their larvae and I have bats that swoop down in the evening to take a drink and feast on flying bugs. It's funny how nature really came to my house once I put the pond in. :)

I'll attach a picture of the baby frog from last year. There were two, so I'm hoping the other one made it as well.

Attached Files:

13. platy benWell Known MemberMember

Aww what a cutie :D

Slight mis-understanding ;) I put the mops in the pond and let the koi spawn on them, and then I will move the mops to the tub for the fry to grow :)
    My bad for lack of explaining :)

14. TanaValued MemberMember

Ah.. light bulb clicked on. (I sometimes live up to my blonde hair colour, so it probably wasn't your explaining!) The water hyacinths take the place of spawning mops for me. Are they restricted over there?

15. platy benWell Known MemberMember

16. TanaValued MemberMember

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hyacinth

One of the main reasons I wanted a pond was for the plants, the fish are just an added bonus. :) It's too bad that my growing season is so short. Water Hyacinth are free floating plants and their roots are beneath the water and help filter out little particulates. Sometimes I've had to cut the roots as they got over 2 feet long and were dragging the bottom of the pond. The blooms are almost orchid in appearance, but sadly only last about a day. They are very fast growing and very invasive. People don't dispose of their unwanteds properly (they put them in local waterways) so a lot of states started restricting sales.

You can see mine in the corners sticking up and I had to contain some of them with a hula hoop so they don't go into the skimmer. Not attractive, but it works and gives the fish a place to hide.

Attached Files:

• Some pics of my pond and fish :D
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      181.4 KB
      Views:
  17. platy benWell Known MemberMember

Wow, you have a beautiful pond and amazing plants! :D
    I LOVE the 1 in the back of the picture, the one which leaves are growing high above the water :)
    I can keep hardly any plants because of our colder climate here.

All I have is some sort of reed, a red leaf lilly, oxygen weed and some yellow flowering plant.
    Heres a pic of my pond in summer.

Attached Files:

18. TanaValued MemberMember

Thank you! The large plant in the back is a Red Scarf lotus and I'm hoping that it'll bloom this year providing it survived the winter. I have my fingers crossed.

Your pond looks very healthy. The water is clear and I love the pads and blooms on your lily. You probably wouldn't be able to keep many plants anyway due to the koi. Do your koi bother your plants much?

19. platy benWell Known MemberMember

The only plants they bother is the oxygen weed, they love to swim through it, so it never gets a chance to get its roots out and then the koi eat it. But I added the batch I have now in winter while the koi were inactive so I'm hoping its settled down :)
    My dads oxygen weed grows un-controllably quick so I just take some of his when my koi destroy mine :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice