Some people just should not use heaters!???

proudtobeafarmgirl

:-[ This is my first experience with tank heaters and it is a good thing that my fishies and I have a gaurdian angel as the heater in the one tank had poor suction cups and only one held the non submersible heater from going into the deeps. As a back up I attatched a twist tie around the top of the heater and taped it to the back of the tank so when/if the suction cup gave way it would not sink and buzz my fish. This was supposed to work until I can get to the pet store and buy a new holder. Well, doing a water change - the heater was unplugged and the suction cup retired from service and will not work so I have left the heater unplugged and hope to make a trip to town before it gets much colder.

Second heater adventure - my Aqua Clear filter rated for a 10 gallon that I have in my 20 gallon has been working perfectly, keeps the temp. no problem. It is unsubmersible too, but is brand new and the suction cups stick just fine but the heater is right beside the switch for the light and I must have pushed the heater down while fumbling for the light switch as I went to do a water change yesterday and the heater was in the water, not all the way in but half way up where it is NOT supposed to be! It was unplugged at the time so I left it unplugged until this morning to dry out? as it seemed to not be damaged or have any condensation in the tube so I plugged it in and it is working fine. :;a2 thanks to my guardian angel for keeping us all from getting electrocuted. In the future I think I better replace all heaters with submersible ones!

Treefork

I don't think I've ever seen a non-submersible heater with suction cups. Usually they have a thing for hanging over the back like a filter would so it doesn't fall in. Weird. Glad you are ok.

Lucy

What brand heaters were they?

Vash

I would not buy any heater that isn't fully submersible. After all, we use them to heat the water.

Tigerfishy

You were lucky! All of my heaters are fully submersible, so when my suction things fail (frequently...) they just kind of dangle at the side hopelessly until I can rescue them and restore swim space lol!!

bolivianbaby

Best advice-get fully submersible heaters. If the suction cups don't fail, there's always the possibility of zooming fish knocking them around.

All of my cichlids have a game called "let's make Mom fix the heater and attack her in the process".

Meenu

Yeah, I'm with the "never get one that's not water-safe" advice, too.

big_e

Some "submersible" heaters have a maximum waterline mark on them because the CSA (the canadian version of the UL) requires one be present even though the heater was designed to be able operate safely fully submerged in water.

In any case you should have a ground fault circuit interrupter for your aquarium. It may prevent a lethal electrical shock should any mishap occur.

mosaicguppy

The instructions on my heater is not to submerge it but the pet store does so I guess it's alright! Good that you and your fish are okay too.

proudtobeafarmgirl

How do you tell if they are submersible or not? The one that had been in the water is an Aqua Clear heater I bought new. It said on the package that it was not submersible but the control at the top is encased in sealed plastic so I am thinking that is why it did not get damaged by the water. I have several other heaters that came with my used tanks when I bought them and they do not say on them that they are submersible or not, they are encased in plastic at the top as well. Why do the manufacturer's not mark the heater as submersible or not or have they already and I am missing it?

mosaicguppy

How do you tell if they are submersible or not? The one that had been in the water is an Aqua Clear heater I bought new. It said on the package that it was not submersible but the control at the top is encased in sealed plastic so I am thinking that is why it did not get damaged by the water. I have several other heaters that came with my used tanks when I bought them and they do not say on them that they are submersible or not, they are encased in plastic at the top as well. Why do the manufacturer's not mark the heater as submersible or not or have they already and I am missing it?

I think because small amounts of water can occasionally get in.

Aquarist

Mosaicguppy,

Please do not submerse your heater simply because your pet store does. Follow the directions on the box the heater came in. I don't want you getting an electric shock!

Too, going against the directions on the box can void warranties should the heater stop functioning for some reason.

Please be careful!

Ken

mosaicguppy

Mosaicguppy,

Please do not submerse your heater simply because your pet store does. Follow the directions on the box the heater came in. I don't want you getting an electric shock!

Too, going against the directions on the box can void warranties should the heater stop functioning for some reason.

Please be careful!

Ken
Okay, thanks for the warning Ken!
Thank god I haven't submersed it YET, don't want the precious fishies getting shocked

rae64

This is the reason why I like my stealth heater Fully submersible, indestructable, and the suction cups are so stuck on that I have trouble moving them! Best heater ever!

rabbia

Ive just found that algarde aquatic products make aftermarket heater/thermostat holders. Haven't tried them yet but they look like substantial suckers on them

crazedACD

Are you sure the packaging said non submersible? I'm pretty sure the Aqua Clear heaters in this area are all submersible, I have one that is. Do you have a model number?

duncan

ive never heard of an aquarium heater that is not submersable, all ours are.

Aquarist

Hello Duncan,

All heaters at one time were hang on backs (HOB) just like the hob filters.

Ken

Similar Aquarium Threads

• That1FishKeeper
  • Heater
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
jlyndsy
  • Bettafishgal
  • Heater