Some of my goldfish turning black

Kingpin2780

I don't know why but some of my goldfish have started changing from gold to black but only a couple of them are doing that that are in the tank the rest of them aren't and when I bought them a couple of them were already black but I can't figure out what's going on
16223395693473271035695515939538.jpg
16223395824832784117097374451267.jpg
16223395941496702665150978373568.jpg

wrs2

Goldfish change colors. It's just a normal thing that happens.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Goldfish change colors. It's just a normal thing that happens.

Sometimes the color change is normal. Sometimes it’s not.

Upvote 0

wrs2

Sometimes the color change is normal. Sometimes it’s not.
The picture with the fish that has black on it looks like perfectly normal color change. Though this tank is obviously over stocked just from seeing how many goldfish are in it, and being the comet variety which should not be kept in a home aquarium IMO.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

The picture with the fish that has black on it looks like perfectly normal color change. Though this tank is obviously over stocked just from seeing how many goldfish are in it, and being the comet variety which should not be kept in a home aquarium IMO.

Your eyes are likely better than mine to tell the difference between a natural change to black and an unnatural one.

That said, and especially in the case of what appears to be a new fish keeper with a tank full of goldfish, I like to err on the side of caution.

Upvote 0

wrs2

Your eyes are likely better than mine to tell the difference between a natural change to black and an unnatural one.

That said, and especially in the case of what appears to be a new fish keeper with a tank full of goldfish, I like to err on the side of caution.
My brother had one comet goldfish when we were teenagers and it lived for 10 years, it changed colors so often and it looked like the fish in the picture above when it changed colors. If it was ammonia burn, it would look more random (maybe not the right word?), and more like an actual burn. It would likely be the same on all the fish and I would expect to see some tail damage as well.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

My brother had one comet goldfish when we were teenagers and it lived for 10 years, it changed colors so often and it looked like the fish in the picture above when it changed colors. If it was ammonia burn, it would look more random (maybe not the right word?), and more like an actual burn. It would likely be the same on all the fish and I would expect to see some tail damage as well.

Again, maybe you’re right but the OP referred to a “couple” fish that are “turning black”. Unless my eyes are completely gone, there’s only a clear picture of one of them.

If I’m not completely certain, I don’t suggest things are normal. And I’m not completely certain here for a couple different reasons.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

two appear to be the olive green wild type coloring. they should be changing to orange/gold within a few weeks-months.

black is the most unstable color in goldfish, most of the time they lose the black coloring. in calico and nacreous they do change patterns.

but in common/comet goldfish i've never heard or seen them gaining black coloration.

yours doesn't look sick. but what are the exact water parameters? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc

Color Changing | Goldfish Forum | 370968

Upvote 0

Sc0rPs

Provided there is no issue causing this, and if you don't like the black (rare in adult gold fish) you can try some color enhancing diets.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
65 Gallon Tank Black Oranda Goldfish
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
50 Gallon Tank Breeding common goldfish
Replies
Views
jtjgg