Some of my Cardinal Tetras

Discussion in 'Cardinal Tetra' started by Matt B, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

They were looking particularly blue so I snapped a quick picture, sorry for the quality. I had to turn my shutter speed down for light and these guys move ALOT.:)
    [​IMG]

2. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

Wow, that is a really nice shot of the group, thanks for sharing it. It really shows off the blue well, and looks even better with the darker background.

3. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Really nice Matt! Mine are so zippy I can barely catch a blur! LOL
    Love the colors!

4. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys. :) They are like one of those perpetual motion things but fish. I really need to get a DSLR, just too much $$$$.

Adam- Thats why I love the black substrate/background combo, it just makes everything pop. Even plants or fish with subdued colors imo.

5. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Beautiful!

6. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Looks great. How many cardinals do you have?

7. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! The amount is kind of in flux constantly, they're my favorite small schooler so I always get them when they're on special at my lfs and then push them on anyone I know locally who keeps fish. My lfs gets them wild caught so theirs always a bit of rehab I guess you'd call it. Deworming them and getting them eating or healed. I get really proud taking the small, pale, scared fish and turning them into a glowing, healthy and inquisitive specimen.

To answer your question, in that tank is I believe twelve or so. Seems like theirs always some in qt/hosp as well.

8. DonnerjayWell Known MemberMember

Gorgeous! If they are wild caught, how do you "train" them to eat? Or does your LFS do that before you get them? What do you feed them?

9. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Generally, they resist the nls for a few days. After that, they are either hungry enough or they recognize it as food and start eating. If there's hold outs in the group I offer some brine shrimp or bloodworms just to get them eating and typically they'll start taking pellets shortly after, I think its partially getting them involved in the "frenzy" and then instinct takes over and they snatch up whatever is around.

I try to get them as soon as they come in but sometimes the lfs has them eating. I feed them nls thera+a .5mm size pellets. The other part about being wild caught is they're often beat up by other fish they were collected with, missing eyes and other wounds so I do lose quite a few.

10. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I usually buy Cards and Neons when they go on their $1 sale. Beautiful fish.

11. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Your cards are lovely, vibrant color and they look very healthy! Mine look lovely and colorful in person but it never comes out the same in a photo :( I need a better camera

12. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! I know what you mean, I just have a panasonic point and shoot. I just can't justify the $$$$ for a DSLR, I could get several more tanks up and running for that!

Also, if you haven't already, try turning off your flash (it washes them out) and slowing your shutter speed a bit to get enough light.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice